Google deleted my bookmarks

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes they did. Bookmarks has disappeared from my toolbar. If I want VOC spares or Vinparts, I now have to go look up the site names. So if you don't want YOUR painstakingly accumulated list of useful sites to be deleted by a corporation who feel you aren't adding sufficiently to their profits, then hard-copy it now, while you still have the chance. Evidently I'm going to have to buy a notebook. Don't bother seeking help: there is none. The help sites make this clear. Their declarations that they're trying to sort the problems ring with all the implausibility of UK Government assurances.
Meantime feel free to use YouTube and Facebook until you find that YOUR data has somehow become THEIR data, and because you are merely a punter from whom advertising revenue can be extracted, there's no money in sharing it with you.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
This worked. But Google comment pages are awash with complaints that they actually did delete bookmarks, and unless one has a Google account (dunno) then they can't be retrieved.

press the ALT key and they should reappear when on any home page. Ken

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Excuse my ignorance here, but what browser are you using? I would think a windows based browser would store them somewhere on your pc just as Internet Explorer does.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
It's Mozilla Firefox. It appears that Mozilla rejigged the home page to tidy it up believing that only a complete computer illiterate would fail to know to press the "alt" to get their toolbar back. In this they were correct...
Excuse my ignorance here, but what browser are you using? I would think a windows based browser would store them somewhere on your pc just as Internet Explorer does.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Tom,
I work with a lot of software development engineers and they do tend to forget to tell the rest of us, mere mortals, the changes they make to the product or even to include those changes in the release notes. Anyway, it was a slow day today and I did a quick look around the Mozilla pages. I don't know if you are aware of this but I thought I would pass it along just in case. If "alt" doesn't work your profile is stored seperately on your pc from the actual browser program. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles this page contains the instructions were it is and how to access all the info. This page also links to a page on bookmarks which contains instructions for exporting your bookmarks, backing them up, and importing them back. Anyway, good luck, hope you find this helpful.
Regards
Steven

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Thanks for this, but I discovered this just before reading your message. If I click on the new, apparently functionless "Firefox" tag, lo, my bookmarks are there. But you get ten points for your analysis of the problem. The only people who weren't told were the customers.
Tom,
I work with a lot of software development engineers and they do tend to forget to tell the rest of us, mere mortals, the changes they make to the product or even to include those changes in the release notes. Anyway, it was a slow day today and I did a quick look around the Mozilla pages. I don't know if you are aware of this but I thought I would pass it along just in case. If "alt" doesn't work your profile is stored seperately on your pc from the actual browser program. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Profiles this page contains the instructions were it is and how to access all the info. This page also links to a page on bookmarks which contains instructions for exporting your bookmarks, backing them up, and importing them back. Anyway, good luck, hope you find this helpful.
Regards
Steven