Good links on a good web site

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This only goes to prove a point I made a while ago. The Very Old Children in this club prefer the old fashioned MPH to maintain contact around the world. When I organised the International in 2007 I made sure ALL information was available in MPH. I did "converse" with many via e-mail after they had entered but I was also continually visiting the post office. A couple of "forward thinking" people in Victoria thought they would promote the Ballarat section of the International on a web site but it was a bit of a dud. Sadly a lot of people have now become lazy when it comes to letter writing and I am as guilty as the next BUT I think it will be a long time before we have to discuss the merits of an electronic MPH. The Coventry site appears well made and would be very useful to the members of the section. In many respects the Coventry Section has led from the front foot over the years. It would be interesting to know if it is all Eddie's work or that of a committee.
I would be interested to know if Diogenes intends to join the VOC as he could possibly be of assistance in designing a web page for the Lancs. & Cheshire section...

vibrac

VOC Member
Anyone who can use a typwriter one fingered can 'do' a web page nowadays.to start with it may not be the ultimate in uber design style but it will look good and carry information.
As for an electronic MPH no-chance ,perhaps one day I may sit on the bog with my 'kindle' and read an electronic version but it will still be a book not a web site.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
...... The Coventry site appears well made and would be very useful to the members of the section. In many respects the Coventry Section has led from the front foot over the years. It would be interesting to know if it is all Eddie's work or that of a committee.

Thank you for the kind words and I hope that Coventry section members do find it useful. Many of the Coventry section members could be described as being past their first flush of youth but young at heart. Quite a lot of them also use email and the web. Because of this I find that email is a good way to remind them about coming events.
A website report on an event that we have organised or one that has been attended by a section member helps to keep everyone up to speed with with has been happening. I write and publish most of the material for our website but if anyone submits a report I use it. (Hint to anyone that attended what must have been a very cold winter Pennine Rally over the weekend.)

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I went. It was cold. I went on the train. 5 bikes turned up - all Coventry section! One Vincent - Doug Squires. -10C on Saturday night.We survived, nice pub, good beer, good company. Oh - 2 Vins, Stu Spalding Super Intrepid was the other - and he camped!!

ernie

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I went. It was cold. I went on the train. 5 bikes turned up - all Coventry section! One Vincent - Doug Squires. -10C on Saturday night.We survived, nice pub, good beer, good company. Oh - 2 Vins, Stu Spalding Super Intrepid was the other - and he camped!!
ernie

Dear Ernie,
I think we can declare you an honorary Coventry section member now that you have spent two successive Winter Pennine's in the company of some of Coventry section's finest.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Anyone who can use a typwriter one fingered can 'do' a web page nowadays.QUOTE]

Not when you live in a third world country, we just got DSL this week! Up until now, other than buying a satelite system, all we've had available is 40kbps dial-up!
Finally, entering the 20th Century (in the 21st!) Cheers, John:confused: