ET: Engine (Twin) Godet electric starter

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am trying to imagine the way in which the standard valve lifter works in the light of Greg's comment 'the force required to lift both exhaust valves at some part of the cycle might be a bit much for a solenoid'.. The cams on the valve lifter can only touch the cam followers when the valves are shut. Once the cam follower has moved away from the base circle it has already moved the valve up a few thou or more. The way I see it, and I am often wrong, is that the solenoid only has to work hard when the cam followers are on the base circle. At all other times the valve lifter cams would rotate against zero pressure. I don't know how big a solenoid would have to be to operate the valve lifter so I need to look up some solenoid specs. It is possible that a bit of fiddling with the valve lifter cam profile might be able to reduce the force required. All one needs is a few thou of lift.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The answer to the solenoid fitment is mount it elsewhere and have it use a cable as original.
I believe that’s what is happening in the case I mentioned. It’s located under the battery carrier and pulls a cable attached to the end of the lifter as per normal.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Thanks all so far,.......My concerns are that these are late model Godet Egli's we are talking about....... I have an interest in this myself on account of a new build engine/bike project for myself in the very near future and this starting issue is something i need to nut out for my own engine. My real question is, does anyone know of any other owners of these bikes that have starting issues........The main problems that I see with them is thus.........You have a large capacity engine cranking over that has no means of decompression......I have no idea as to whether Patrick's engines use a squish band in the head.........this would make a difference straight away........It uses the original triplex primary chain and the original style ESA on the crank.......This assembly concerns me, as under cranking it goes to full deflection one way, then once the engine fires it very abruptly goes to the full opposite deflection, thus creating a massive shock load through the primary and against the starter pinion.......... Of course a major problem with this starter design is the cranking ratio is very very poor by comparison to a car engine........ I worked out the starter pinion to crankshaft ratio is about 5:1 .......So the starter is very much loaded to the maximum.......This ratio does not account for the internal reduction gears within the starter itself, but even so, the starter ring gear has about 72 teeth verses a car engine has about 160 teeth (this for say a small block Chev engine for comparison) then via the primary sprocket ratio of 1.6:1 as per a standard Vincent twin. For those who have seen one, these bikes are a work of art........the quality of everything is amazing.......So for me to have to re-- engineer things is a bit scary........I'm not sure the people at the factory in France are willing to even talk about it, they seem very hard to communicate with........I certainly don't wish to upset them.......The owner has given me permission to literally do whatever is necessary to fix it......... understandably I am not rushing into anything without very careful planning.......... Any ideas most welcome.........Cheers......GB.
I assume the starter uses a bendix on the pinion so on reversal it immediately disengages from the ring gear preventing any damage.
Cheers Bill

Colin

VOC Member
I have Patrick's first Sport GT bike of 2004. Standard engine and Grosset starter. Never had any problem, but you must not go backwards in gear. That has never been a problem either despite the fact my garage is at the top of a steep drive and I frequently have to negotiate the Camper and parked cars A decompressor device might give the starter an easier life however

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The name of this thread needs to be changed. Imagine trying to search for electric starter information and finding that heading. Maybe call call it Godet Electric Starter

Last edited:

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Yes worked on them 1330.and also a new gear on it.
Its original G. Was to hard.
Made one from C45 and carbo heat treated that. To 50-54 the core being softer.
And worked the chain 2 mm outwards, for reasons.
It engaged to early.
Great system.