Godet Egli frame marking

vinhrd998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Do any of you know what the marking on the front plate of a Godet Egli frame means?
In this case T2FW?

1620813323784.png

Last edited:

vinhrd998

VOC Member
Yes I'm quite sure it is an Egli Godet. It is not the frame number but the extra marking on the bracket plate that is T2FW.

Last edited:

PapyG

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This frame must be a frame from Egli. That would explain the "FW" at the end. At Godet, that does not say anything .. It is perhaps an Egli that Patrick had to assemble with a real frame of Mr Egli who him, mark them

davidd

VOC Member
I don't think that there is any substantial evidence that Fritz stamped his late frames with any numbers like "T2FW". His late frames were consistently stamped with "EV" numbers. If you look at all the single frames he built subsequent to licensing the Egli production to Slater, they have EV numbers. Phil French had one that Fritz built which Phil called "DoorMouse."

In the 1970s, Slater stopped buying frames from Egli and turned the manufacturing over to Eric Cheney. Those bikes appeared to use nickel-plated frames and had the number prefix of "VIN" rather than "EV." Slater seemed to use "EV" in his numbers very late into his production, but he did have the license to do so.

Godet built several Vincents for Fritz Egli. These were Eglis that customers ordered from Fritz but were supplied by Patrick to Fritz for final assembly. I do not know what numbers were stamped on these bikes, but I would not be surprised if Patrick identified them with a number. I assume that Fritz had the ability to stamp numbers and create the paperwork for a bike he assembled at his facility during the time he owned it.

David

vinhrd998

VOC Member
Had a conversation with PapyG who works for PGC (Godet) and the frame is most likely a very early Godet.
1620834302499.png

1620835122159.png

Last edited: