Glory Days of British motorbikes

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On BBC 4 last sunday
I always approach this "general public" stuff with trepidation as its normally full of innaccuracies and 'anti' drivel.
but I found this most refreshing only regret that they did not show any footage of Jock West or Georg Meier actually riding the '38 BMW while they discussed it or Clubmans TTof the Vincent
Good live shots of Vincents but I guess the Rollie free bit was a recreation as I saw no bathing cap....

anyone know where the 'Track' shots of the Rough Inferior annd Vincent were taken?

timetraveller

VOC Member
For those who might go hunting for this on iplayer or similar it was Monday, not Sunday at 2100. Do we know who owned the Black Shadow? It looked very nice and as far as I could see was just about in standard trim. A credit to the owner or restorer.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The bike programme mentioned, "Full Throttle: The Glory Days of British Motorbikes", is repeated on BBC4 this evening (Thursday October 31st) at 10.30 pm.

It is followed by, "How the North West Was Won" at 11.30pm. Great archive footage and interviews on the NW 200 Road Races in Ireland.

johncrispin

VOC Member
On BBC 4 last sunday
I always approach this "general public" stuff with trepidation as its normally full of innaccuracies and 'anti' drivel.
but I found this most refreshing only regret that they did not show any footage of Jock West or Georg Meier actually riding the '38 BMW while they discussed it or Clubmans TTof the Vincent
Good live shots of Vincents but I guess the Rollie free bit was a recreation as I saw no bathing cap....

anyone know where the 'Track' shots of the Rough Inferior annd Vincent were taken?

Yes trepidation also, generally a good prog', some really lovely original footage and not too many of the same ol' same ol' shots. A great shot of Wal Handley who was encouraged in his early days by HRD , but no mention of him by name. Something of a flavour of an obituary about it and the invevitable nostalgic look back at the sixties.. er rods mockers etc etc.
How about couple of follow ups with a big up for the necessity of two wheeled transport. Perhaps something which promotes knighthoods for John Bloor and John Surtees or is the same old anti bike Brooklands style snobbery still alive and well in the uk ?? I say yes it is but has transmogrified into rendering biking beyond a marginal pursuit and rendering it vitually invisible.
We need something open minded to counter the over regulation by bureaucrats here and abroad ,in the face of massive car cultcha and its attendant congestion. Then by some miracle we might have some m/cycle licence holders able to use our lovely old Vincents, ok rant over now time to go out to fix my old motorbikes while I am allowed to ride 'em.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
Look carefully to see the drip of oil hanging off the shadow oil return pipe:) , great program , pity more like it are not made!