Glitterguts

Norvin1000

Forum User
VOC Member
Can anyone help with any history of a Rapide (which used to belong to a distant relative at one time) and which eventually was polished and nickel plated all over (Stockport area of Greater Manchester, UK)? Cheers, Phil

methamon

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,
I have heard of this bike and if I remember correctly I have seen pictures, perhaps in MPH or books. I seem to recollect the bike being used to advertise Solvol Autosol?
Methamon

Len Matthews

VOC Member
The bike used to promote Solvol Autosol was known as "Big Ed" by it's then owner, Terry Hart but I think he was from the south. Anyway, it regularly appeared in the Solvol ads in "Motorcycle Mechanics".

nkt267

VOC Member
A picture of 'Big Ed' appears on page 2 of A photgraphic miscellany by Geoff Preece. On the opposite page is a photo of an A twin called Glitterguts,any relation?

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Hi there, If it was Big 'Ed I have a copy of the Motorcycle Mechanics June 1960 with a short 1 page write up on it, owner Terry Hart ex-regular Army sergeant, but does not say where he was from?. The headline says a dealer valued it over £600.!!!!!! now who would pay that sort of cash for a motorcycle?????
Anyone wanting a photocopy of the article please send me a pm.
Just had another look at the article, there are 2 photos, on one the reg no.is F 8528Z , on the other it is TPU 362, the plot thickens.
Tony

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
Can anyone help with any history of a Rapide (which used to belong to a distant relative at one time) and which eventually was polished and nickel plated all over (Stockport area of Greater Manchester, UK)? Cheers, Phil
That was plated by Hillgate of Stockport. I think I have a picture somewhere, an advertising leaflet for the plating solution suppliers. I`ll dig it out and scan.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Surely Glitterguts was a Series A Rapide finished in bright red with lots of extra chrome e.g mudguards, oil tank, mag cover etc. See 'Vincent' by Duncan Wherret page 18

clevtrev

VOC Member
That was plated by Hillgate of Stockport. I think I have a picture somewhere, an advertising leaflet for the plating solution suppliers. I`ll dig it out and scan.
I`ve added a photo, Miscellaneous 2007. This is the machine you asked after. Plated by Hillgate Engineering of Stockport. Note, It is not Glitterguts.