Glitterguts

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've only just noticed this old thread. Glitterguts UJ9774 (with a different motor) is alive and well in NZ. No longer red and no longer glittering but running nicely and being enjoyed. I haven't been able to track down the current owner of the original motor (V1005) but from the notes I got with the bike it was in a bike in Switzerland. The current motor is ex the Harold Pass Morgan racer.

The bike was built up by Tony Wilson and came to me via Jeff Smith. It has TT forks and brakes as specified in the original works build sheet.

It looks very well-used and has nearly all the correct bits on it. While it would be an easy restoration I intend to keep it looking as it does now.

View attachment 55312
I'd also keep it as it is. I love when an old bike looks... old. And used.
There was a three or four pages article on Glitterguts in Classic Bike back in the very early 90's, possibly 1990. I have it somewhere, I can dig it out if needed.
Cheers.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Tony Wilson got to know John Waltham as Old Harry was loaned to John to take Phil Erving in the 1980's international rally there is a picture of Phil astride it on the front cover of MPH when it still had the lightweight Webbs forks and 21" composition front hub and magnesium brake plates, racing mag, wrap around s/s oil tank and composition rear wheel, we met at John's place the late 80's with Harry Cox to swap all the racing stuff for standard equipment as I didn't have a petrol / oil tank, or primary chain case as all the engine plates had been made shorter for racing, Harry had already given me the bike as he couldn't manage it any more.
1999 I met Jeff Smith at Quarter Bridge paddock where the parade lap started from and he was all over Old Harry as Harvey was riding it for the parade and wanted to build one so I let him have an "A" Comet RFM but never saw the finished project
2018 did a full lap around South Island after attending the annual rally in North Island and Russel Byfield rode it down to Wellington had a new set of S/S exhaust pipes made by Chris Knibbs, prior to the rally as we rode together with Ivan Shannon.
I've been in touch with Tony Page recently discussing sending bits out as Tony is saying that the prices have gone exhorbently high as he was trying to send a bike by sea and air and prices have gone up three time what they were and air fairs 1.5 times so I have just called off my trip.

IMG_1897.JPG

Never having been to S.I.without seeing the Von T's after the magnificent rally in 95 so a compulsory call on John & Aloma but never made it to Milford Sound this time.

IMG_1941.JPG

billirwinnz

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'd also keep it as it is. I love when an old bike looks... old. And used.
There was a three or four pages article on Glitterguts in Classic Bike back in the very early 90's, possibly 1990. I have it somewhere, I can dig it out if needed.
Cheers.
Thanks Eric

I have the article. See attached.

Cheers Bill

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
  • s-l16001.jpg
    s-l16001.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • s-l16002.jpg