Glaze Sparkplug Insulator

jueledwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
There was some discussion about the modern sparkplugs not working or not lasting long. I read the explanation given at Green Spark Plugs web site. They think the problem is that new type plugs are not glazed on the internal insulator so then a rich mixture can make them short out by coating the ceramic with crud. I ask: Why can't WE coat the insulator with a 'glaze paint' used by ceramic hobbyists and kiln it on? Would it 'kiln' in the engine? I doubt it. Maybe a friendly Ceramicist will bake us a batch to try out. Replies are solicited.

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You're looking at anything up to 1400 C to "fire" glaze, so I don't think the inside of the engine would "fire" it, and you're close to the melting point of the steel parts of the plug.

You can get lower temperature glaze (8/900 C), but I'm not sure if that would be good enough for the insulator or what affect the temperature would have on the other components/assembly of the plug.

Not an expert, but coming from The Potteries I've picked up a little knowledge (a dangerous thing?) and I have access to kilns, if anyone wants to send the bits for a trial - I wouldn't waste my own money on this I'm afraid.

H

jueledwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
At least we have gotten some thinking started on the Spark Plug Failure problem. So many riders were just "pissing and moaning" about it with no progress into the reasons, and now maybe something will come about. Maybe some plug mfgr will actually make a plug designated for M/C or Carbs with a number or letter on to indicate ceramic glazed. I am trying one now. JUEL. in deep South USA.

Zaphod

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Plug fouling

There was some discussion about the modern sparkplugs not working or not lasting long. I read the explanation given at Green Spark Plugs web site. They think the problem is that new type plugs are not glazed on the internal insulator so then a rich mixture can make them short out by coating the ceramic with crud. I ask: Why can't WE coat the insulator with a 'glaze paint' used by ceramic hobbyists and kiln it on? Would it 'kiln' in the engine? I doubt it. Maybe a friendly Ceramicist will bake us a batch to try out. Replies are solicited.

I think it has more to do with additives in oil and fuel today, than with the ceramic on the plug. I solved all my fouling problems by slash cutting the plugs and decreasing the gap by 50%. Slash cut the cathode at the edge of the anode and close the gap with a feeler gauge inserted diagonally.

P.Havas

jueledwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I sent the question to the E-3 spark plug co. and they did some experimenting and read the Green Spark Plug page and wrote me back that the inside insulators were never coated with glaze. I would send their letter but I don't know how to get it into the forum. As far as I can see we are back to square zero. JUEL.

1660bob

VOC Member
That strikes a note-I have never seen a spark plug with a "shiny" ceramic inner-they all seem to have been a matt finish to me-are we sure they were EVER glazed in the first place-are we barking up the wrong tree here?

jueledwards

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yes I agree that we may be barking up the wrong tree. So WHY are perfectly new-looking plugs quitting sparking? Let's get some scientific reasoning into this mystery. Is it possible these plugs are really resistance plugs even though we dont want resistance plugs?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello all, I am trying NGKBP5E, They have a bit extra sticking out + a V groove at the tip, they seem better but it's to soon to tell, Can't get champion's local. I have had to weaken the carbs, I am out to 4 on the slide now, Getting better !! Amal says we should richen the carbs up!! for this new petrol, I think they have been drinking the stuff !!. All The Best. Bill.