Girdraulics

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
P1080093.jpgHi all, can anyone enlighten me as to why someone might drill a hole as in the attachment in FF12 / FF13, and should I have both springs in a '52 Comet please?

Kevin

timetraveller

VOC Member
My advice is scrap the springs, if both sides are the same, and fit one new spring each side. Note that 'D's had only one spring each side which were longer so make sure that you get the correct springs.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
No good reason except ineptitude or sabotage. Comets fit only the outer springs. Get new springs with the right damper and eyebolt combination as per KTB or 40 Years On. Before fitting springs, fit damper and ensure that the exhaust and magneto cowl are not fouled by the mudguard or rear stay anywhere in its arc of travel from full compression to full extension as a problem here could throw you down the road. If you have a SPAX damper throw it away as it might kill you!I have seen springs packed out with inner valve springs and stacks of halfpennies, but this is a new one on me.Cheers, F5AB/2A/7945 since 1970

Howard

VOC Member
That’s not an easy place to drill a hole. I would think it’s been done by accident, probably by someone drilling through the spring box for some unknown reason, but you’d think they’d have noticed when they hit the spring.

H

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
That’s not an easy place to drill a hole. I would think it’s been done by accident, probably by someone drilling through the spring box for some unknown reason, but you’d think they’d have noticed when they hit the spring.

H
I would think that would be impossible, I do not think that a standard HSS drill would simply pass straight through the centre of the spring, if someone was drilling the springcase in situ for some odd reason I am sure the drill would simply deflect the spring out of the way or break the drill, it is curious, the drilling has all but severed the spring, I am sure in use it would snap very quickly, I am with Timetraveller, scrap the springs and buy new.

Black Flash

VOC Member
If I was in your shoes, I would contact David Dunfey regarding suspension on Comets. He has extensively tested the Thornton setup and developed springs for that ultimate roadholding. Why buy something second best if you can get the ultimate for the same price.

Bernd

john998

VOC Member
As Howard says, that is a difficult place to drill a hole, perhaps it was done as a demonstration, for it can serve no purpose. John.

Howard

VOC Member
I would think that would be impossible, I do not think that a standard HSS drill would simply pass straight through the centre of the spring, if someone was drilling the springcase in situ for some odd reason I am sure the drill would simply deflect the spring out of the way or break the drill, it is curious, the drilling has all but severed the spring, I am sure in use it would snap very quickly, I am with Timetraveller, scrap the springs and buy new.

Agreed Peter, but the hole’s there and I can’t think of any reason to drill it on purpose. Just a guess, maybe the spring was coil bound at that point, so it couldn’t move – that would also explain why it hadn’t broken – doesn’t explain how the drill went through the spring or why, so if anyone reading drilled it, please tell us why.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
As for spring length all my garage broom handles have 1/2" off the ends, I have just remembered why....

davidd

VOC Member
What an interesting modification! It does change the spring rate, but as mentioned, it is so difficult to do. Unfortunately, it does not change the spring rate enough to be useful and the more serious issue is that the stock springs are too long to begin with.

Thanks Bernd for the vote of confidence.

David