Girdraulic Problem

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My new-to-me Comet pulls to the left, and has a tendency to go anti-clockwise at roundabouts. I notice from the Works' data sheets, when it was exported to Australia, it was fitted with Southern Hemisphere forks, presumably to counter the corilolis effect. Can anyone tell me how to convert them to Northern Hemisphere operation?

H

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
So ORIGINAL southern hemisphere bikes can only be ridden in northern hemisphere during B.S.T so during G.M.T one has to suffer the left hand tendencies, but then most folk put them away during the winter so do not realise the effect if they happen to have a bike that has returned to the home land.
bananaman

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Read about this problem before on Nortons where the featherbed bikes suffer from handling problems when repatriated to the UK from Australia.

The solution is to attach a can of Fosters to the right hand fork leg exactly 3 1/2 inches from the top of the forks to the top of the can. What ever you do, don't be tempeted to drink the contents, as doing so gives the tempary effect of improving handling but usually ends up with a serious crash.

This restores the famous Norton featherbed handling, so should work for Vincents. It was also found that any other beer will not work, so only Fosters is the recommended beer not to drink!!!

Howard

VOC Member
I think it must be April Fools Day, whatever crapped on the Comet, while I was out must have been a flying pig (too big a splat to be from a bird) and it snowed on me - I haven't been out on two wheels in the snow this century.

I knew there must be a use for Fosters...............it's not drinkable!!

H

Oldhaven

VOC Member
The cure, though not often used, is to surgically swap the hemispheres of the brain, thus correcting handedness.

Last edited:

notap

Non-VOC Member
In Australia, this made my bike swerve to the left.....

As they say, Bear Grylls calls it Man V Wild...in Australia we call it camping.
IMG_4416.jpg