Girdraulic Forks Pad Bolts

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There's always the "official" answer- K T B p30, both blades start out as the same handed forging , when turning one to make the pair something has to come the opposite!

John Appleton

VOC Member
What, like the flat area that the bridge plate mounts on, the slots for brake torque reaction spigots, the relieved area inside the blade bottoms to clear the brakes. I think all these things , and their relationship to each other, have far more to do with determining which side the leg fits rather than which way round a pad bolt is fitted in a hole that is drilled all the way through the top of a fork leg. Having said all that, I quite agree that both forgings start off the same, but they are not "turned around"to make left and right, but moved across and machined differently. The lettering and numbers appear on both sides of each leg, and the legs only become left and right when the relief is machined to clear the brake assemblies and the inside of the torque reaction pad is machined to clear the brake plates. The bosses at the top of the legs are symetrical and have no influence on handing the legs.
The machining of the relief removes the unwanted lettering from the inside of the legs, and Dicks' famous "long and short " pad bolts will happily fit either way around in the top bosses so, in the absence of further info, I am going to accept Ians' explanation that it is in fact the bolt with the nut to the rear that is correct, and the other one is only turned around if a small speedo is to be fitted.
Phew....... I am now going for a lie down.
I suppose you are sitting there all smug at what you have started aren't you Dick. There is a whole army of perfectionists now wasting their easter holliday in swapping the direction of their pad bolts, and Mr. Primmer is dying to knock off conkers marks for not conforming!
John

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
The origin of the forging is such that only one forging is required to make either. A feature of a good design. The blade is completely symmetrical about its vertical centreline, apart from the lettering.

John Appleton

VOC Member
Does this mean Eddie Stevens was full of sh-t?
Mmmmmm- does look that way doesn't it?
icon7.gif

John