• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Girdraulic Forks Pad Bolts

rapcom

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I have noticed a small oddity on Drawings MO63 and MO107 which is puzzling me, and wonder if anyone can explain it for me.
At the top of the fork blades are two pad bolts FF43 and FF43/1, which lock the upper front fork spindle FF14. Both are still listed by our esteemed suppliers. The Parts List says that FF43 is a Pad Bolt -Short, and FF43/1 is a Pad Bolt-Long, and the MO drawings show that the left (short) one is inserted with the thread to the rear, and the right (long) one is inserted with the thread to the front.
I can see that one might want a slightly longer one on the right if you have the original speedo bracket FF69/1, but why should they be positioned at 180 degrees to each other ?
Surely not to reduce the unsprung weight moment arm of a nut and washer?
Does anyone actually have their Girdraulics set up this way?
Have I missed something obvious?

John Appleton

VOC Member
Dick, I think I must also be a very sad case. There I was, out in the shed last evening , trying to find a reason for the pad bolt to be reversed and all I could come up with were reasons for it not to be. The best of these reasons was that ,if it were fitted with the thread to the rear, the nut would foul the front brake cable as the forks work.The other reason is that it would just look wrong.
I am now going to "get out more" and think about it whilst I ride the bike, and try to decide if fitting it the other way round will improve my enjoyment. John

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Hmmmmmmm! Careful myopic and strabismus inducing perusal of Richardson and Series C Riders' Handbook seems to result in contradiction.I always stick the nuts to the front because they act as a barrier to corrosion.Richardson 1955 edition page18. Handbook 10th. edition 1960 page un-numbered after 40 and following.Balance of probability is the spares drawing is right,this time.I only get out when my keeper isn't watching!

Miss Amanda Waterscooter

Active Website User
VOC Member
I'm sure I was told by one of the ex-works guys who used to go to the A Rally some years ago that if they knew the forks were going on a shadow they fitted both the pad bolts this nuts at the back just 'cos it looked better.
Ian S

John Appleton

VOC Member
I think I will use my influence with the social secretary to arrange an international "sad gits" rally. Dick can be master of ceremonies and the rest of us can discuss such fascinating subjects as "which way to fit a bolt", John

Last edited:

John Appleton

VOC Member
What, like the flat area that the bridge plate mounts on, the slots for brake torque reaction spigots, the relieved area inside the blade bottoms to clear the brakes. I think all these things , and their relationship to each other, have far more to do with determining which side the leg fits rather than which way round a pad bolt is fitted in a hole that is drilled all the way through the top of a fork leg. Having said all that, I quite agree that both forgings start off the same, but they are not "turned around"to make left and right, but moved across and machined differently. The lettering and numbers appear on both sides of each leg, and the legs only become left and right when the relief is machined to clear the brake assemblies and the inside of the torque reaction pad is machined to clear the brake plates. The bosses at the top of the legs are symetrical and have no influence on handing the legs.
The machining of the relief removes the unwanted lettering from the inside of the legs, and Dicks' famous "long and short " pad bolts will happily fit either way around in the top bosses so, in the absence of further info, I am going to accept Ians' explanation that it is in fact the bolt with the nut to the rear that is correct, and the other one is only turned around if a small speedo is to be fitted.
Phew....... I am now going for a lie down.
I suppose you are sitting there all smug at what you have started aren't you Dick. There is a whole army of perfectionists now wasting their easter holliday in swapping the direction of their pad bolts, and Mr. Primmer is dying to knock off conkers marks for not conforming!
John

Last edited:

clevtrev

VOC Member
The origin of the forging is such that only one forging is required to make either. A feature of a good design. The blade is completely symmetrical about its vertical centreline, apart from the lettering.

John Appleton

VOC Member
Does this mean Eddie Stevens was full of sh-t?
Mmmmmm- does look that way doesn't it?

John

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?