girdraulic forks comet

alscomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With all this talk of "Tank Slapping" I thought I would have a good look at the front forks during the winter, can anyone tell me what is the best set up for the
Comet spring box. Both springs or just the outers ,if I use just the outers do I use the series "D" ones as detailed on page 37 KTB?thanks for your replys.
alan

alscomet

VOC Member
posted threads deleted

Yes i noticed that Hugo two threads had been posted and both have been deleted, anyway thanks for your efforts i intend removing both my springs and installing two new ones with a 1" packer at the bottom as posted by Ken.
Alan

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
Girdraulics etc

You may find items of interest in:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/frontforks/

though it is for Vincent Twins, not Singles.

As an aside, any packing pieces should be fitted at the top of the spring.
Packing pieces added at the bottom of the spring increase the unsprung weight, which is already too high.
Also it is worth putting a tapped hole in the centre of any packing piece, to ease removal [with a long screwed rod] if you ever want to change the set up. They sometimes get stuck inside the spring box.

nkt267

VOC Member
I have found a few Comet spring boxes packed with halfpennies(not half new p's).Shame they weren't valuable ones or maybe they were 'rare Vincent spring spacers':p

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
At the risk of trying to teach Grandma to suck eggs I have noticed some owners trying to check their front suspension movement by standing astride the machine and vainly pumping at the handlebars. The easy way is to stand left of machine, put on rear brake with the right foot then pump the handlebars.

nkt267

VOC Member
M.O.T man out the front brake on and said my forks were siezed.I balanced on the footrests and bounced the bike up and down to prove him wrong:D