girdraulic dimension please?

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All, has anyone got access to the drawings for the fork blades FF40? I want to know the following measurement:
If a straight edge is laid across the two machined faces on the inside of the blade (the faces that the FF10`s bear against) and that straight edge extends down as far as the long machined face on the inside at the bottom of the blade (the one that the axle nuts E80 bear upon) what should the distance be between straight edge and machined face?
Hope that makes sense... You can tell I am checking alignment here....anyone know? Thanks,Bob.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Near as I can tell, it's 7/16" on both legs. If you need a more accurate measurement I could get you one tomorrow. 7/16" is what I get on the kitchen worktop with a carpenter's rule.

1660bob

VOC Member
Thanks Tom, I get 7/16 on one (kitchen top and rule)and about 1/32-3/64 more on the other- that one has had a whack and although I went to great lengths to have it heat treated and straightened, looks to still be a little out. I am getting a loose fit on the wheel axle with about 1/8 end float all shimmed-a bit much to pull up on tightening the axle.... Cheers, Bob

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bob,I had a wheel built a bit off one side and to get the wheel in the middle I put a washer next to one fork leg, Or is that too much of a bodge ? I would think it was better than scrapping a leg. Cheers Bill.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Just done it on my lathe bed, and on another flat plate. Both give 1/2". These are Comet legs, recently machined by Trevor, so highly likely that they're the way they ought to be. He doesn't miss much!

Problem with just pulling it up is there's no guarantee the one that's right KNOWS it's right, so won't move instead of the "bent" one! If you can't get it straight, my advice would be to put a spacer in behind the brakeplate, which would prevent end-loading the spindles and links.
For information, I haven't checked the forks on my twin for straightness. There's about 1/32" clearance before I nip the spindle up, but that means nothing because I shimmed the (PV) brakeplates out to suit the fork.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bob, Just check, If you put a spacer behind the brake plate, You are taking the shoes out of the drum a bit, Or if you put a spacer between the plate and fork you are taking the plate Anchor out of the fork leg a bit. Good Luck Bill.