Getting it running after 25 years?

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I agree

I'm with you Trev. Depending on the mileage the bike has covered, this is a factor to consider but then how far does one go?. If the engine was to be split then a total restoration may as well be carried out. I believe that Warren was just interested in get it going. Thats why I mention that if there were underlying conditions that were going to cause problems later then these would have to be dealt with as they occured.

Phelps.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Such good fortune , I'm envious !! Check for stuck valves before you try to turn the engine over. Personally I'd remove the timing cover to determine how much a storage corrosion and oil sludge problem there is before starting.

W.C.Machine

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The clock has 15,525 miles on it. I remember running it 25 years ago. The carbs were drained before storage and are free now. I purchased new cock corks, battery and oil filter from coventry spares. They were a pleasure to work with. It turns over smoothly by hand. I plan on cleaning the fuel and oil tanks this weekend and oiling everything with an oil can that I can reach. Also it was stored in a climate controlled building. If all looks good I plan to start it next week. Thanks for the help and support. Warren

nkt267

VOC Member
Why not a video? we can have the first firing in public. Some people video the birth of their children so why not a Vin?