Misc: Everything Else generator

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
yesterday i started to dismantle the Generator.with the right Extractor a straight foreward Job.because of the rigidity i changed the halftime idler,which was of Aluminium alloy for a steel one.now there is lees pla in the driveline,but all smooth running.when i try to fit the alton in the very central Position with the oil seal fitted (thank you Martyn) i have the Impression that the plastic pinion of the alton is without any Play on the big idler.runs this in?or what should i do?regards erik

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ther big idler is on a boss which can be moved to allow adjustment. It might mean buying a smaller half time pinion to allow the big idler to move downwards.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Remember too that the Alton has strong rare earth magnets, so this takes some effort to move the armature shaft to and fro to feel any backlash in the gears, not easy to rotate like a Lucas or Miller generator shaft.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Ther big idler is on a boss which can be moved to allow adjustment. It might mean buying a smaller half time pinion to allow the big idler to move downwards.
Never worked on a single, but does that not take the large idler out of mesh with the camshaft gear, sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.