Misc: Everything Else generator

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i think i will go the way with the shim steel .all the other gears a running with perfekt alignment.so changing things there is what Peter is saying.the steel pinion of my old miller would fit.what is about filing the teeth deeper with the plastic pinion?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Search for “Comet dynamo” by clevtrev and you’ll find half a dozen posts from Trevor telling you how to set up the Comet timing chest and explaining why you need to start by centralising the dynamo in the seal.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry but the engineer in me cringes when plastic gears / pinions are discussed. Yes they are OK in certain uses but as has already been said the magnets are very strong on an Alton. The plastic gear may last a year two, but if it gives then there will be plastic shards all inside the engine.

Maybe i'm been a bit cautions and loads of owners will come back saying they have run platic gears on Alton's for years OK, but if it was my bike I would be looking at fitting a steel gear.

erik

VOC Member
now i screwed down the Dynamo in ist cradle and this makes things looking better. and of course there is a double sealing on the Dynamo shaft. on the engine case and on the alton. i would discribe it in german: mit Gürtel und Hosenträgern.thank you for your good ideas and help!

erik

VOC Member
everything is together and the Dynamo is charging well.the Timing gears are running smooth and quiet.much better than before.gentlemen,thank you for your help.regards Erik