Misc: Everything Else generator

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
my miller Generator is dead, no charging.should i have this repaired or replaced by an alton on my comet?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Generally Miller stuff is well made, and if you only need it for lights it is probably worth getting repaired while parts are still available. I believe there is someone in the U.K. who now advertises in M.P.H.= Rutland Dynamo Service;has anyone tried him yet? He may do an exchange service. The original Miller regulator is the real Achilles heel- have a new unit put inside the original little black box. If, however, you have ignition via the battery get an Alton and keep the Miller for when you sell the bike.

erik

VOC Member
the previus owner converted the miller to 12 Volts with an electronic Regulator in a seperate housing.maybe with the halogene bulb and the rear lamp the System works on ist Limit? together with the satnav obviusly it charges only with high revs?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Two means of conserving zaps. L.E.D. replacement bulbs (see Goffy's BSA site ) consume only 25 watts and maps and the human memory consume none. Does the generator motor? Are the brushes good, is the commutator clean?

erik

VOC Member
the brushes are good and the commutator clean and no Play on the bearings.but if i measure direkly on the brushes ,there is no current.i decided now to go on the alton and then we will find out what is wrong with the miller.regards Erik

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Erik you will get a much longer life out of an Alton than a Miller plus it will be 12V and a lot more WATTAGE.
With a permanent magnet alternator it produces the same amount of electricity all the time so when the battery has recuperated, indication that the amp meter is returning to zero switch on headted handle bar grips, seat heater, lights & don't forget the blue LED's for self preservation, sorry German vehicles not allowed blue. Using the power reduces work load of the regulator / controller. This

erik

VOC Member
as we are going into the dark season a good light is important!thank you for your help! Erik

erik

VOC Member
today the alton arrived.there is a closed bearing facing towards the pinion.is this enough for oilsealing or is it recommended to fit an additional seal in the backside of the Timing chest (part of the crankcase)?