General Grease Guns and BSF Nipples

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
HI,
sorry but you have got it wrong, Wanner grease guns are still manufactured, and are still available, their small hand filled gun retailing at about £60. No body could dispute the quality or warrenty of snap on tools, for which you will pay premium prices, espeacily, if buy of the vans. How ever there are far better buys , if you look on e bay at item no 280381523130 you will find wanner grease guns that at the moment are sat at £2.
good luck.
stumpy lord.

Howard

VOC Member
Being the current owner of an Egli, a Fireblade and two cars with no grease nipples between them ( none that I grease anyway) I find this thread fascinating.

Do you really need a £60 grease gun that will last for ever?
How many times a day do you guys with real frames have to grease the spindles?

While I was reading back that last para, I just had a vision - I think I've actually got one of these grease guns. If I can find it in the scrapheap challenge I call a garage, I'll post it on here for a good home - don't hold your breath my memory and my garage are each daunting challenges, nevermind remembering something in my garage.

H

minivin

VOC Member
Some of us also have Land Rovers and other such vehicle that have prop' shafts, these need greasing regularly otherwise the UJ's seize. Invest and life becomes easy :)

Howard

VOC Member
Some of us also have Land Rovers and other such vehicle that have prop' shafts, these need greasing regularly otherwise the UJ's seize. Invest and life becomes easy :)

Ok that's a good enough reason, but I'd use modern clip-on nipples on a Land Rover if it was that critical.

Found the grease gun. It's a cheap pressed steel 60s (I think) version but it works and its 3/4 full of vintage 60s grease (I obviously didn't use it much). Drop me a PM and I'll post it if anyone wants one. In the unlikely event of a stampede - first come, first served.

H

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Greasing is almost redundant maintenance on modern machinery , which is a pity. Just good to use quality equipment when I do need to grease swing arm pivots , motor bearings etc. My Lister CS diesel engine has a nice little greaser on the rocker shaft , you just give one turn as required and the correct amount of grease is delivered to the bearing.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Greasing is almost redundant maintenance on modern machinery , which is a pity. Just good to use quality equipment when I do need to grease swing arm pivots , motor bearings etc. My Lister CS diesel engine has a nice little greaser on the rocker shaft , you just give one turn as required and the correct amount of grease is delivered to the bearing.
Your comment about almost redundant, tells me that you know nothing about modern machinery. I have a recently purchased new CNC mill that requires its slideways greasing. It`s made by Haas in California, and is as modern as you can get.

Howard

VOC Member
Now, now boys! I think "almost redundant" means you can still find grease lube in some cases.

I know a few buyers who still need their palms greased to keep orders flowing. Does that count? ;)

H