General Grease Guns and BSF Nipples

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Firstly, I have been having major issues getting a modern grease gun to seal on a BSF nipple, all I seem to achieve is grease all over the outside rather than inside. Has there been a change in the profile of nipples over the years?

Secondly, I want to buy a decent grease gun as I seem to keep purchasing grease guns that are meant to be the bees knees, but turn out to be the frozen monkeys nuts. Any suggestions on what is the best model to purchase?

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
There are 2 basic styles of grease nipple , the more modern type where the grease gun clicks onto the nipple to seal and the older type where the seal is created by the pressure of the push stroke on a hand, spring loaded push to grease type gun. Try to use a later gun on an earlier nipple and the grease will just squeeze out before it gets into the nipple.

Howard

VOC Member
See T.E. reply, grease nipples may be different.

The BSF part only refers to the thread, not the nipple, so you can buy a modern pattern grease nipple with a BSF thread and use a modern clip-on grease gun.

I'm not an expert on Vincent cycle parts, but I've heard that there isn't always a good clearance between grease nipples and tank (for instance) so be careful, new nipples may be longer.

minivin

VOC Member
Thanks for the responses, I also had this conversation with ET43 who has kindly given me an old style pump grease gun so that I can now pump away as Trev recommends :D Now for some sunshine so I can drag the bike out :rolleyes:

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
after many years of greasing kites,i
I would say without a doubt, that wanner are the best grease guns.
norm.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Would agree with that. I inherited a '60's Wanner from my Father and it still operates as I remember it when using it as a kid to maintain the family car and other equipment. Doubtful whether anything could be bought now to equal the quality.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
grease gun

Whilst the name Wanner is synonymous with quality, you will need to sit behind you rocking horse to find one! Snap-on sell a good one-had mine for 30+years. Speak to the guys at your local service station to find-out when the van arrives. Roy.