General Grease Guns and BSF Nipples

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Guys
having spent all my working life ,apart from the last 10yrs working on Agricultural machines and trucks. I spent a lot of time fitting greasing points to places where the makers thought it was a good place to make money in having to replace parts that failed. Having moved over to driving trucks for a living, because there is more home life and money to be made and is better than getting covered in oil & grease every day. However lastnight my truck had a systems failure, the propshaft parted company on the M25 due to the lack of grease nipples in the universal joints. The truck is 3yrs old next month and has just clocked up 768,000 kms. So apart from the finger full of grease that was used to assemble the the U/joints was it cost affective on the part of the makers to omitte grease nipples, I think so, although I still bite my tongue saying it. As for grease guns I still use the Tecalamite one my old chap borrowed from H.M Forces back in the 50's and you can still buy parts for if needed.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have always wondered how to pronounce "Tecalemit". They always seemed to have banners on the Brands Hatch photos of Jim Clark, et al.

Anyone care to try a phonetic spelling that a Yank would understand? (Yeah, I know I'll get 90% abusive answers.)

Howard

VOC Member
I have always wondered how to pronounce "Tecalemit". They always seemed to have banners on the Brands Hatch photos of Jim Clark, et al.

Anyone care to try a phonetic spelling that a Yank would understand? (Yeah, I know I'll get 90% abusive answers.)

Always been Teck Al Em It (accent on Teck) in Stoke but I bet you'll get a few alternatives.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Hi Guys
having spent all my working life ,apart from the last 10yrs working on Agricultural machines and trucks. I spent a lot of time fitting greasing points to places where the makers thought it was a good place to make money in having to replace parts that failed.

I've spent a lot of years with bearings gearboxes etc for industrial applications, mainly on effluent treatment machinery where we used a design life in excess of 100,000 hours. Occasionally a small scale supplier of agricultural machinery would contact me for parts, and they often worked on 50-100 hours life (beleive it or not) about the same as a Black and Decker drill or lawnmower. They probably expected the grease to outlive the bearings, hence no grease nipples.

H

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Thats how I pronounce it to , and so does the company receptionist when she answers the phone , or she did when I did business with them 7 or so years ago.