General Committee Meeting (GCM)

General Committee Meeting (GCM)
Posted by Graham Smith
VOC Headquarters Building, Unit F1, Rear of 29 Station Road, Desborough, Kettering NN14 2RL.
Sunday, September 5, 2021 - 01:00 PM
Until: Sunday, September 5, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
G

Graham Smith

5th September

All Members Welcome.
VOC Headquarters Building, Unit F1, Rear of 29 Station Road, Desborough, Kettering NN14 2RL.

Meeting starts 1300hrs. Arrive from 1200hrs for lunch.
Food available locally. Info: Hon Secretary. Gill Lowinger.

Details inside front cover MPH.

vocscprem-300x225.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The last GCM was conducted very successfully as a Zoom meeting -

Please ensure that Zoom also be used, alone or in conjunction with a physical meeting, thus enabling those sections OUTSIDE of the UK to take part in this important event of the International VOC.

Thank You

SO, Vincent Riders Victoria

G

Graham Smith

Since covid, and because Zoom was pretty successful during the UK’s lockdowns, I think it would be most unwise for the Executive Committee to prevent its use going forward.

As far as I’m aware, there’s been no suggestion that the zoom option will end anyway, but hey, what do I know?

Gilli

VOC Hon. Secretary
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Gill Lowinger is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: 151 VOC GCM
Time: Sep 5, 2021 01:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 252 896 5055
Passcode: Vincent

Please see updated Agenda. I have had several nominations for Graham Smith to be made an Honorary Member. I attach the two with the fullest citations.

From Robert Watson, Former Editor

As a former editor of MPH I know what kind of time commitment and effort it takes to do one of the most important jobs in the Vincent Owners Club, for indeed it is that. When I succeeded John Webber as Editor the publishing industry was in the middle of change, no more hand assembling page layouts, and making press plates, things were already moving to digital platforms and then to direct to digital printing presses. As Editor not only are you responsible for content but also directing the whole constantly changing environment of publishing. I did the job with help from my staff and started to move MPH into a more modern magazine as the technology emerged. This casts no bad light on the previous Editor but is the reality of change.

Graham Smith took what small strides I had made and continued to follow the same direction of the publishing world, indeed as most aspects of the times we live in. Rather than being satisfied with a status quo he has led MPH into this evolving world and excelled.

Along with that evolving world comes the blessing/curse of social media. In many areas this has replaced what are now becoming old school communications. Keeping with the times Graham has given the Club a presence on the likes of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and in that same vein has built an extremely user friendly forum, users of which are passionate about its use and contents.

Section 8 (b) of the Club rules state that “The distinction (of Honorary Membership) may be extended by the Club to those persons who have rendered the Club a special service, or have furthered the cause of motor cycling in general and HRD, Vincent-HRD and Vincent motorcycles in particular, by some act or acts for which recognition of the Club shall be justified.

I submit that Graham having done a brilliant 15 years as Editor along with all the other platforms of communication he has created definitely falls within the statement “who have rendered the Club a special service”.

From John Sayer, South London Section Organiser

There cannot be many members, if any, who do not look forward to MPH falling on their doormat each month and Graham’s tenureship has not disappointed. Graham was a relatively new member of the Club at the time of him taking up the Editorship. His background in modern publishing held him in good stead and he has performed an outstanding job preparing & distributing MPH under some great difficulties at times, along with the incredible amount of time, energy & enthusiasm he has put into establishing & maintaining the current VOC Forum, which is regarded as not only outstanding, but also far above all other forums by those who use our Forum regularly around the world. The fact that many new, non-member visitors to the accessible areas of the Forum open to them, have found it so impressive that they have gone on to join the Club is testament to it’s very impressive, friendly nature & it’s worth. And his integrity, general enthusiasm & efforts to further the interests of the Club to all members is second to none.

We feel that Graham has completed all of the guidelines within Section 8 .b. of Club Rules

His time in office has only been surpassed by recently deceased John Webber who was granted HM as the longest serving Editor after about 10 years of hard graft & Graham has now been if office for 15 very busy years and now needs to concentrate more on other things.

Attachments

• 151 gcm agenda.docx
    46.5 KB · Views: 31