Misc: Everything Else Gearing

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To me it seems the gearing on my C twin is too high for road use, requiring quite a lot of clutch slipping in 1st gear until I feel I’ve gained enough speed to fully release the clutch, I don’t find this very comfortable and I’m concerned about the wear on the clutch. Both rear sprockets have 46T and I’m wondering if it would help me if I put on a larger sprocket. Can anyone recommend a size sprocket that will improve things and if so where I can acquire one please, or should I leave it as it is?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Could be it has a Shadow first (tall geared) gear. I have run 21/46 sprockets with two up and luggage for well over 100K miles. Works well for me. I even tried 22/46 but did find that a bit too tall.

nigsey

VOC Member
Could be it has a Shadow first (tall geared) gear. I have run 21/46 sprockets with two up and luggage for well over 100K miles. Works well for me. I even tried 22/46 but did find that a bit too tall.
Thanks Robert, that’s interesting, maybe it’s just something I need to get used to.

vibrac

VOC Member
As Robert says you may well have a high bottom gear I have always found bottom too low as soon as you are moving you have to change up. I dont think high bottom cogs are available nowadays so if you have one its a rare beast. Time to take the plugs out slip it into bottom and count the engine revs for a turn (or 10) of the back wheel....?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Workout the gear ratio between the engine and the rear wheel in first gear. Not hard to do, just patience required. Take out the plugs or arrange for the valve lifter to be held open. Take off one or more of the tappet inspection caps. Rotate the rear wheel, and count the full turns until the engine has turned over once. That will let you know whether you have a Rapide or original early Shadow first gear. If it is the Shadow one then you could fit a 48 tooth rear sprocket which some people like anyway.

Last edited:

nigsey

VOC Member
Workout the gear ratio between the engine and the rear wheel in first gear. Not hard to do, just patience required. Take out the plugs or arrange for the valve lifter to be held open. Take off one or more of the tapper inspection caps. Rotate the rear wheel, and count the full turns until the engine has turned over once. That will let you know whether you have a Rapide or original early Shadow first gear. If it is the Shadow one then you could fit a 48 tooth rear sprocket which some people like anyway.
That is really helpful and I’ll try it, thank you. A steep learning curve for me but I’m learning lots through you guys.

SteveO

VOC Member
I have the self same problem when the engine is cold, it threatens to stall in first when first moving off unless I slip the clutch and bogs down as I turn out of my road. But as soon as it warms up the problem goes away. It may be that I should warm up a bit more before moving off. I also have a V3 type clutch fitted.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Re.my posting #6 above; it has just been pointed out to me by Vibrac, who is clearly still awake that, one is turning the wheel once and counting the engine revs or alternatively turn the engine over a number of times until the rear wheel has turned once. You will be looking for a figure of about seven or nine turns of the engine for one turn of the wheel. Sorry that was not clear.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think a Vincent Twin can be a bit Intimidating, When first ridden,
Maybe more so if the Carb's are not spot on ?,
I mean top speeds of 60/90/110/ and what ever you can get through the gears is pretty good !.
I have 2 Twins , One with High First and the other standard and I can't feel the difference.
I think it's a case of getting used to it and coming down the gears,
More often and quicker than on most bikes,
I remember riding my K100 BMW and then going out on my Twin and nearly running out of road !,
On a bend, Simply because I hadn't changed down enough gears .
A lot of people put a 48 rear sprocket on, Maybe if you have a lot of weight or someone on the back,
But I like the lower rev's when doing 70s 80s etc.