G: Gearbox (Twin) Gearing - Series ‘C’ Black Shadow

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'll start off checking the sump oil content for volume, the mag had previously made its low speed running excellent, but definitely oiling up big time now. So possibly not scavenging properly.
funnily enough it did have joggle wires but I took them out. The bike has been running a straight 40 and the last few tops ups straight 50.
If the sump is fairly clear then I guess the top end needs investigation
theoretically the engine is Dec 53, a very late number.
Tim, You will always get some oil out the sump drain !, Not too much I hope.:)
Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Tim, I have never checked it, But that don't sound too much,??, It has to have some, If you look in the tank when running, As long as it's returning, Vin's don't have a steady stream, It comes back in fits and farts,
Again, Try and look at another Bike. Cheers Bill.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I remember P.E.I. saying "more harm is caused by oil not getting where it's needed than by it failing when it gets there." Especially in cold weather heavy oils tend to form "tunnels" with an outer layer adhering to pipe walls and causing the mechanical equivalent of a coronary occlusion, or perhaps a Colonial Delusion. Other things to check are valve stems gumming up and stuck rings. Personally, I run 30 or 40 grade in my Comet even in the hottest Aussie weather. P.E.I. used to like the old formula Castrol GTX because, to quote him directly, "it is messy stuff."