ET: Engine (Twin) Gearbox

Len Matthews

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone advise me of the thickness of washer G19. I've got one here that looks thinner than it should be.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That's a hard one Len.
I have looked through all my books, no show. Tried to find one in my bits, sure I have one Somewhere!
Greg told us some time ago, maybe P.M. Greg Brillus? I think it was 52 thou, but not sure!
I remember Greg saying it and thought, that's BIG, but I was thinking of the other end.
Good luck, Bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

delboy

VOC Member
Can someone advise me of the thickness of washer G19. I've got one here that looks thinner than it should be.
Hi Len,
G19 from some of my prehistoric sketches I made, I have 0.125" at the centre raised bit and recessed 0.010" each side.
I had trouble with a motor once that had its housing "repaired". This resulted in G12 being nearer the centre line of the motor and G11 double gear couldn't move across to it's full extent, CLONK!
Good luck.
Delboy.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hi Len,
G19 from some of my prehistoric sketches I made, I have 0.125" at the centre raised bit and recessed 0.010" each side.
I had trouble with a motor once that had its housing "repaired". This resulted in G12 being nearer the centre line of the motor and G11 double gear couldn't move across to it's full extent, CLONK!
Good luck.
Delboy.
Thanks Derek,Maughans confirm that 0.125 is correct.This one is only 0.66.oddly enough this bike has had camplate spindle reclaim and horror or horrors the spindle appears to have been locitited.Might have heat it up.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Why not leave the spindle in Len ?,
I don't touch it if it's tight, Easy to strip and rebuild the box without removing it.
Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Maybe the G19 was shaved down to compensate for material removed from the crankcase mating surface. Sorry for bringing that up, but probably best to measure the distance between the gearbox bearing bores before you button up the G2.

ps... based on NOS G19, I think the measurement could be best described as approximately 0.125”