Gearbox shift adjustments 47 Rapide

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Any help on adjusting G49? My gearbox shifts very well going from first thru forth........but up shifts are poor. missing (not quite engaging) upshifts to second and first. I have adjusted G61 with a little more to go, but I don't feel this is the issue.
Getting into first at a stop is always a challenge.....doesn't quite notch into first, but a quick hand click will get first.
So I am thinking G49 needs to move. Or maybe replacing worn parts?
Thanks
Craig
M003aPartsList.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't know what you mean by help Craig,You just undo a nats' the two 327 and turn g57, It's offset, Then you will have to do g61 again, Good luck, Bill.

orwollma

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Any help on adjusting G49? My gearbox shifts very well going from first thru forth........but up shifts are poor. missing (not quite engaging) upshifts to second and first. I have adjusted G61 with a little more to go, but I don't feel this is the issue.
Getting into first at a stop is always a challenge.....doesn't quite notch into first, but a quick hand click will get first.
So I am thinking G49 needs to move. Or maybe replacing worn parts?
Thanks
Craig
M003aPartsList.jpg
Hi Craig,

See page 40 of the Rider's Handbook for the correct adjustment sequence. Also, it does help to replace any worn parts. I ended up replacing virtually everything under the cover on my '50 Rapide.

Mark

craig

VOC Member
I ordered G49, G57, G59AS, G66/2AS, G68, G43 , 327's.........already had new springs......everything looks suspect sloppy with lots of clearance. Parts tomorrow, I will see what works.

greg brillus

VOC Member
One other issue which you may easily miss Craig..... I have noticed this on some of the earlier bikes.........Sometimes the G 91 clutch lever inside the kickstart cover fouls on the G 66 AS shift lever when you down shift through the gears, this is because the cable adjustment is letting the clutch lever travel inward too far to release the clutch, and whilst the clutch lever is squeezed in, and you pull up on the gearlever, the G 66 actually hits the G 91 clutch lever. Check it by trying to pull the gearlever up whilst you squeeze the clutch handlebar lever in looking in through the inspection cap hole.....very visible, easy to readjust the clutch cable to help it clear.....cheers.....Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:

craig

VOC Member
I look my initial statement over and it is "downshift" that is the issue........altho I think of it as upshift as I am pulling the lever up. Thank you to Bill, Bruce, Mark, Greg.
I tried all positions of G49/G57, but could not find a good shift into first from second. Everything looked a little loose. I hate to replace original parts....but I need downshifts.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Another one to watch for, the right hand ear of g 61 can baulk the kickstart quadrant, happened to me a few months ago! Keep at it, sometimes it just takes a few more cups of tea + a few choice words.

vibrac

VOC Member
In spite of being designed for 300 years of use it is possible that wear has occured in the selectors difficult to detect. It drove me mad in the weeks leading up to the 1999 IOM when the thought of missing THE LAP began to loom and no new selectors were available.
You might ask me why I bought a surtees 5 speed in a hurry that summer........:)

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I remember reading somewhere that the gearchange caused severe problems during assembly at the works. The guys were given courses on "how to get it sorted." The bit that hits home is the statement -a satisfactory gear change SHOULD be acheivable.- but only satisfactory, not good!