Gearbox problems

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Rapide has developed a problem only when changing from first to second gear.
It feels as though the shift is dragging through the gear lever, just as though the
clutch is dragging, but only from first to second change.
I would rather like to blame the clutch but it looks unlikely.
Suggestions please. John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, Is it worth slipping the Clutch off ?, If it's a standard one, Sometimes one off the screws come loose, Could be one of the main screws holding the drum on ?. Good Luck, Bill.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Duck tape over the 9 screws stops them from doing a turning job in side the cover, making the central hole ready to fit a gauze onto.
Now 83 miles west along Route 66 ,started today after Chicago marathon , lot of traffic leaving .
bananaman

john998

VOC Member
Hello all, I shall start by looking at the clutch, hopefully, as it is a lot less work.
Good point about the amount of oil, my first thought was to drain it and look for bronze in it.
Having just moved house it might be some time before I get to it. John.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I meant to try that trick of Marcus, Tape over those silly screws, I built a twin clutch the other week and Forgot !. Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Probably not the problem but are you sure that the outer plate is lifting squarely? Have you got one of my needle roller thrust race conversions to fit to the centre of the outer plate? If not then I have another batch being machined this week as the Spare Company, who have sold several hundred of these, have now run out. If you need one then you can either buy from the SC and pay VAT and a small profit for them but get prompt service or you can buy from me which is cheaper but as I am often away you might have to wait. enw07@btinternet.com

john998

VOC Member
Hello all, thanks for the input. Have checked the oil level and it is a where I keep it ie just on the bottom of the dip stick. The idea of keeping it low is to stop oil getting into the clutch.
This level has not caused a problem over many years. Pulling the clutch is next, I hate
disturbing the clutch when it is working well (standard clutch) John.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, box now stripped and the answer appears to be the dog's on the G9 gear.
They are badly worn and ragged, not sure why this would cause the dragging feeling
through the change lever if the clutch was clearing as the dogs on G10 are fine.
Another problem is that G8/1 has a chipped tooth, quick look in the spares box
reveals no G9 but one G8/1, sadly it has a matching chipped tooth. G8/1 looks
to be made of unobtainium, any one got a good used one for sale?
I will try uploading pictures of the chipped gears tomorrow, to get an
opinion as to wether they are usable. John.