G: Gearbox (Twin) Gearbox oil level

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Regarding the recent discussion of gearbox oil quantity, and appropriate length of the dipstick, on my Shadow, the top bevel of the flat area at the end of the dipstick is about 5 11/16" from the landing stop bevel on the handle. If the gearbox has enough oil to reach that top bevel of the flat area at the end of the dipstick, it looks like the oil level, relative to the gears on the layshaft, will be somewhere between the teeth of the gears, and the dogs of the gears, and below the layshaft itself. It that the desired design, ie, correct length of dipstick?

OilLevel2.JPG

OilLevel3.JPG

OilLevel1.JPG

Albervin

VOC Member
Steve, just like in the primary drive there is a lot of thrashing about in the gearbox. Why not just add the recommended amount of oil (2 Imp pints) and see where it marks the dipstick? Then make your own mark with a scribe, file etc.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I was hoping for a visual confirmation of the correct oil level. I was toying with the idea of making a plexiglass cover.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
TheBox, Oil.
one wants for sure oil between main and output hollow axle, weather oillite , PhBronze or bearings.
This causes leakes at the exit in gear change cover..
Hence a dripping old man.
Easy to avoid by nicely grinding a 45degree chamfer in the output shaft and use an 19 mm x ?? O ring. Pressed and kept in place by the G26 cup and 48 spring.

Than there is the front sprocket, often off center and loose on the spline.
Better fix with locktite high strength.
When taking off, its mostly a write off. Put the oxy flame on it. (Not the axle...)

Than there is the seal, as it does not have a positive seat. So Its mostly mounted on the piss. Maybe creating a pumping effect. More so with shitty not concentic seal surface on the sprocket.

Only good sprocket's I've seen were from UK and he has sons, whom run the business now.

Rest is mostly a write off. As they can't check the quality recieved.

When box is open maybe machine into the main shaft a PhBronze bush 6.37 mm so the clutch rod runs nicely round.

Cheers.

Its getting better weather.