Gearbox oil level rising/Primary falling

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I was hoping you'd see this thread Hugo, as I had enjoyed reading your original write up on your "device" in my copy of "another 10 years"; thank you for replying. I wont rule anything out but I don't think this is happening on my bike. I have a crank seal fitted by Maughans several years ago which has been very successful, and I have not changed it recently. Also, I'm careful NOT to seal my Alton to the chaincase , to allow it to breathe(blowing into the inspection cap, it easily vents out by the Alton). I also checked the 4 small holes in the Gearbox filler cap, which were clear, so that's not pressurising.
I've got the primary drive apart and will report further!!
You seem to be replicating Hugo's findings, I think it might be time to remove the crank seal.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Simple solution Tim, put ATF in the gearbox, and you will not notice. :)
Back to reality. Was there any sign of extra drips coming from the gear change cover ?

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
You seem to be replicating Hugo's findings, I think it might be time to remove the crank seal.
I'd just add at this stage that the Maughans crank seal I have if a turned ali component that takes a std G24 seal, and seals onto the back of the sprocket. The bearings themselves are standard.It has worked very well for many years.

Trev - know anyone that sells red dye?!! (cheaper than ATF?)

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I'd just add at this stage that the Maughans crank seal I have if a turned ali component that takes a std G24 seal, and seals onto the back of the sprocket. The bearings themselves are standard.It has worked very well for many years.

Trev - know anyone that sells red dye?!! (cheaper than ATF?)

I guess that type of seal could act as a flap valve as it did on Hugo's machine, it would depend on which way round the seal was fitted and also whether the crankcase pressure has suddenly increased for some reason, oh the joys of Vincent ownership, never a dull moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard

VOC Member
Peter, I think a standard lip seal would be too strong to act like a flap valve here. However, with the current trend of fitting non return valves in breathers to form a partial crankcase vacuum, maybe the crankcase would suck all the oil out of the primary case and the gearbox. :eek:)

H

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
seal wear, due to high speed Tim, and since I drove behind you at Mischi's last year, I think thats the case.... anyway good that you made it all the way.
I would just strip the whole thingie down and start rebuilding....
thats why we need at least two driving vinnies...
all the best
Vincent

Alan J

VOC Member
Hi, Tim- Judy and I too enjoyed our 103rd French rally( well, it feels like that) . I can't find out how to start a new topic on this forum!! We had a good slow ride home-apart from some issues with a back tyre that went flat for no reason! Thanks to Werner and the French section for the rally! See you all at the annual!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
. I can't find out how to start a new topic on this forum!!
  1. Click the "Forum" tab at the top left of the page.
  2. Click on the link to the forum you want to post in.
  3. Click the blue button at the top right of the page "Post New Thread".

Alan J

VOC Member
Cheers,Eddie, but no blue button at top,but 3 dots!! That does the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
Update on findings after stripping the primary:
Found the orange silicon I had put over the head of crankcase stud K had gone, so could explain loss of primary case oil (was leaking from near gearchange cover )(usual very relevant question Trev!), Re siliconed it.
Retaining ring for bearing in gearbox cover plate only finger tight (but split pins still in place). Tightened and loctited.
Replaced G24 seals in my crank seal, and in coverplate, both gone a bit hard.
Replaced 5 broken inner esa springs.
Gearchange pawl spring broken, explains slightly sloppy change recently.
Done 50mile test run, all back to "normal", levels ok so far. No idea how gearbox level went up!?

Glad you got back OK Alan and Judy, at least you had a centre stand for changing tyre?
Hello Vincent- are you going to Austria this year?