gearbox oil leak

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There can be several faults which can lead to oil getting into the kick start cover. The old original one was that the tunnel which at the kick starter end takes the kick starter shaft goes all the way through to the primary chain cover. This was to allow the use of left handed kick starters for the left hand drive market. If the primary chain case is over filled, or even if it just normal, then oil can migrate through this tunnel and end up in the kick starter cover. Most of us cured that problem by putting a cork into that tunnel years ago. If that is not the problem then oil can move from the gearbox and past the Oilite bush which supports the gearbox main shaft where it runs into the kick starter cover. Where G3 emerges from G5 if you have the parts list. This can be cured by pushing the Oilite bush inwards very slightly (a mm plus) and then fitting a thin section 'o' ring into that recess. If that is not the case then another possibility is where the gear change actuating shaft, G40, enters the kick starter cover. It would be unusual for this to let much oil pass but once again if it is the problem then recessing the plate and fitting an 'o' ring behind the place where it enters the kick starter cover can cure that. Then there are the studs which hold the two crankcase halves together. Some of these have brazed on nuts at the primary drive end which have to be sealed with sealing compound. If that is missing or the stud has failed and become displace then an oil leak can result but also a disaster inside the primary drive. Check it out.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
How long is you dip-stick spyda ? The one into the gearbox, the end of mine is drilled to take a length of Bowden cable (throttle size) to reach the bottom of your box so one can keep check of the oil when not reaching the dipstick, mine stays the same year in and out, if I put level to mark in dipstick it is gone in a few thousand miles. So long as the cogs teeth dip into it every thing will get lubricated. Also have a kickstart cover drain plug 1/4" BSW that lets out water and oil that accumulates.
bananaman
Posted 13th nov., 2013

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Yes my handsome, David Bowen was Australian but was an ex-works apprentice and only recently died at 86 + years young so is speaking from a long experience with Vincents.

oexing

VOC Member
Maybe he was referring to my YT clip when I studied the trouble with jamming kickstart gears in a BMW gearbox. Yes, the thing is you have to have pointy gear tooth tops and first tooth on quadrant pointy as well.

Vic
kickstart gears

jim burgess

VOC Member
Hi Vic,
Thanks for that.
I have had a day trying to get two brand new quadrants to work. The pointy one from the VOC is NBG. The non-pointy one from Muaghans which I did not think was going to work, was a dream! 'mazing!
Cheers
jim

Alyson

VOC Member
NBG ? I'm familiar with NFG, but as B and F are not near each other on the key board, I don't believe it's a typo. I'm guessing the shaft
from the spares is nicht gute ?