Gear Lever

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Photos can deceive the eye, but it looks like it could do with getting cherry red on the apex of the bend and bend it some more inwards, there looks to be little doubt that the gear lever is where it should be, it is just a matter of getting footrest hanger in the correct position also.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I can see what you mean in your last photo Dave, I wonder if the taper is on the piss,
It didn't look right in one of the photos, Maybe get it cherry red and give it a tweak ?

That`s what I thought Bill, but someone, probably Vincent, said that whatever the pattern ones are made of wouldn`t take to being "manipulated" thinking it was Zinc plated Brass.
Have tried a magnet on it & it is magnetic so I`m assuming it`s steel so might be worth giving it a go.
The other thing I wondered was whether heating where the taper is would help me get a better fit on the taper on the spacer.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just looked at my own pictures & noticed the lug under the hanger so wonder if I`ve got the sort that suits the other set up with the linkage.
If I have then I`ve got another one coming from Mike Breeding so that may be the cure.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think I would avoid the taper, Like Peter says, I would try bending in the middle,
But as you say , You have a new one coming, You will wind up with a shop load of hangers ! :) ,
Some poor sod will have to bend it ?, Hope you like Vincent's after all this ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The new taper might be tricky ?, Without a lathe, But I think I would do it by hand on a Linisher,
It don't have to be as good and strong a taper as with the other side ?.

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
Just looked at my own pictures & noticed the lug under the hanger so wonder if I`ve got the sort that suits the other set up with the linkage.
If I have then I`ve got another one coming from Mike Breeding so that may be the cure.
Cheers
Dave
Dave, the hanger in your photo is not the "B" type, look at MO21 in the spares list (blue book) and you will see what one looks like. Looking at your photo I am not even sure that what you have is even a Vincent hanger, looks a bit home made to me as both the top and bottom are the wrong shape. This link is from the VOC spares shop and shows what F52/17 should look like but without the slot for the gear lever (not sure why they have not shown a photo of the hanger with the slot). (https://vocspares.mamutweb.com/Shop/Search?q=F52/12&page=1. I don't know what you paid for one from http://mikesindianparts.com/VINCENT PARTS.htm but they look like they need a lot of work to look good, personally I would have bought one from the VOCSC.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave, the hanger in your photo is not the "B" type, look at MO21 in the spares list (blue book) and you will see what one looks like. Looking at your photo I am not even sure that what you have is even a Vincent hanger, looks a bit home made to me as both the top and bottom are the wrong shape. This link is from the VOC spares shop and shows what F52/17 should look like but without the slot for the gear lever (not sure why they have not shown a photo of the hanger with the slot). (https://vocspares.mamutweb.com/Shop/Search?q=F52/12&page=1. I don't know what you paid for one from http://mikesindianparts.com/VINCENT PARTS.htm but they look like they need a lot of work to look good, personally I would have bought one from the VOCSC.
Thanks for the advice Russell.
Hanger was purchased from one of the eBay suppliers & was definitely advertised as a Vincent hanger.
Whilst I appreciate the Spares Co & have spent a small fortune with them I have seen less than complementary comments with regard to the hangers so bought the one I`ve fitted.
I`ve got it to where I`m quite happy it will function ok so will have to see how it goes.
Not sure what the problem will be with Mike Breedings hanger but haven`t heard anything but praise for what he offers & given how many other things on the bike are not "Concours" don`t think it will be a problem if I do actually get round to fitting it.
Think it was $125 for the Mike Breeding hanger plus carriage & a bit of duty.
Cheers
Dave

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Bill,
Great tip about drilling and tapping for a grub screw. I'll put it on my L_O_N_G list of things to do.:)
A photo of the grub screw mod.
If you have had a minor bump at some time it is likely that the hanger will have a bit of a twist which makes the footrest sit a bit out of square. (Mine is slightly twisted.) The grub screw made it very easy to set the footrest at 90º to the bike centre line.
footrest mod small.jpg