Gear Lever

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Here is my bike's gear lever from above. I may have to get some weld on my footrest to get it swung forward a bit. I did that for my K/S footrest to keep my boot from sliding off.
Gear Lever.jpg

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Here is my bike's gear lever from above. I may have to get some weld on my footrest to get it swung forward a bit. I did that for my K/S footrest to keep my boot from sliding off.View attachment 31063
Thanks for the photo Bruce, these are really helpful.
My Footrest was sitting like yours so I did what Bill suggested & put a grub screw in the peg to push it forward.
Problem on mine is when it's pushed forward it's no longer horizontal.
Going to have a play this weekend & think I can get it useable.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If I had a bad foot, I would weld up a new steel gear lever to fit me, With a rocking action ?,
I think that's what they call it, Where you have 2 foot pedals, One in front and one behind,
So you push down what ever you want, I think they had them on small Italian bikes and some 50cc Jap' bikes in the 60s.
But if you twist yours clockwise it should go horizontal, Then it's a matter of getting the gear pedal right for you, But try it with your riding boots ?.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
If I had a bad foot, I would weld up a new steel gear lever to fit me, With a rocking action ?,
I think that's what they call it, Where you have 2 foot pedals, One in front and one behind,
So you push down what ever you want, I think they had them on small Italian bikes and some 50cc Jap' bikes in the 60s.
But if you twist yours clockwise it should go horizontal, Then it's a matter of getting the gear pedal right for you, But try it with your riding boots ?.

Another good idea for me to think about Bill.
With all the advice & photos I think I've got a pretty good chance of getting a reasonable set up with what I've already got.
Proof will be in the pudding when I actually give it a spin up the road.
I've ordered a early type set up from Mike Breeding just in case I want to go down a completely different route.
Cheers
Dave

vibrac

VOC Member
If/when Dave fits a Grosset starter he won't need a valve lifter.;)
Now that in my opinion is a bad mistake. To press that red button without operating the valve lifter for the first few seconds is to play Russian Roulette with the sprag clutch.

stu spalding

VOC Member
The main reason for using the valve lifter with a LiFe battery driving the starter motor is that it allows the battery to "wake up". They don't like delivering full power straight off, not sure why. Cheers, Stu.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Now that in my opinion is a bad mistake. To press that red button without operating the valve lifter for the first few seconds is to play Russian Roulette with the sprag clutch.

I`ve got a Suzuki GS1000E & they are prone to breaking the Starter Clutch.
The simple mod they suggest is to alter the kill switch to allow it to turn over with the ignition off so that you can get the motor cranking & then flick the kill switch on to avoid any chance of a backfire.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I`ve removed the spacer I`d put on the hanger shaft & refitted the standard gearlever foot piece & seem to have got it all in a reasonable position where I can work the gears ok.
Still think the Hanger isn`t the best part I`ve ever bought as you can see from one of the photos that although I`ve got the footrests nice & parallel the front rest isn`t horizontal.
I can live with it but have got the earlier set up complete with new hanger coming to me so can always give that a try.
Thanks for all the advice & encouragement.
Cheers
Dave
IMG_20191214_141044.jpg
IMG_20191214_140746.jpg
IMG_20191214_140955.jpg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I can see what you mean in your last photo Dave, I wonder if the taper is on the piss,
It didn't look right in one of the photos, Maybe get it cherry red and give it a tweak ?