Gear Lever

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looks like it's more than one thing then, Maybe use a bigger grub screw ?,
As you say, The taper is not on as far as in the photo from Ed'.
Maybe the foot piece is longer than it should be too ?, So the rubber don't go on as far as it should,
Plus your thick washer !.
I agree with Ed, It's got to feel right, Or your mind is not on the driving, Which is not good.
But your getting there !.
After following Vin' Twins for many years, You can always tell it's a Vincent, The riders legs are so far apart !!,
Looks like they are on a Horse !.
With my long legs and other problems, I much prefer rear sets.
Good Luck, Bill.

erik

VOC Member
I think I have completely other footrest hangers than on Dave`s bike.and the conus is different.What is about the conus on the left Hand side ? Is it as bad Fitting as on the right?Erik

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The taper is all wrong, Either on the alloy or inside the hanger.
I would have a go at making the alloy bit shorter, But getting the taper right will be tricky ?.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I think I have completely other footrest hangers than on Dave`s bike.and the conus is different.What is about the conus on the left Hand side ? Is it as bad Fitting as on the right?Erik
Erik,
The left side is all good, I think the main problem is the pattern hanger on the right side.
All the advice is helpful & points me in the right direction on what to alter.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
The taper is all wrong, Either on the alloy or inside the hanger.
I would have a go at making the alloy bit shorter, But getting the taper right will be tricky ?.
Definitely think it's the hanger Bill & not the alloy especially as it needs a grub screw to get any where near parallel.
That's the problem with pattern parts, they can be a bit hit & miss.
Perhaps I should try a hand gear change :)
Cheers
Dave

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dave, I would suggest you remove the alloy spacer you have added to the footrest hanger spacer F51 and so pull the footrest inboard slightly and see if that improves things. Its a quick thing to do and if it does help then you can look at addressing the length of the thread protruding through the end nut by other means.

Not everybody likes them as the linkage can create some extra movement when worn, but the earlier gearlever used on series B & C up to at least the end of 1949 ends up further outboard in relation to footrest as it mounts off the lower part of the footrest. I have this type of gearlever on my 49 Shadow and it feels no different to the later single lever, but the linkage is new and not worn. Finding the parts is not easy though. See photo below.

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Dave, I would suggest you remove the alloy spacer you have added to the footrest hanger spacer F51 and so pull the footrest inboard slightly and see if that improves things. Its a quick thing to do and if it does help then you can look at addressing the length of the thread protruding through the end nut by other means.

Not everybody likes them as the linkage can create some extra movement when worn, but the earlier gearlever used on series B & C up to at least the end of 1949 ends up further outboard in relation to footrest as it mounts off the lower part of the footrest. I have this type of gearlever on my 49 Shadow and it feels no different to the later single lever, but the linkage is new and not worn. Finding the parts is not easy though. See photo below.

View attachment 30766
View attachment 30767
Thanks for the advice Simon.
I knew about the alternative gear change & must admit I quite like it, but as you say might be like looking for rocking horse poo.
Will be taking the spacer off & looking at what I can do to the hanger, probably throwing it in the bin might be the best option.
Cheers
Dave

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Simon, it would upset the purists but would not modern day spherical rod ends be an ok substitute for the original linkage? They'd probably wear better as well. Cheers, Stu.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Simon, it would upset the purists but would not modern day spherical rod ends be an ok substitute for the original linkage? They'd probably wear better as well. Cheers, Stu.
Stu. Yes they would work. What I have used and what is shown in the photos are a modern spring loaded ball joint and seem to work OK. My brother has been using them on his bike for quite a few years.
Here is an example:

Simon