Gear lever for Comet Burman PR50-50A

nobby

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Craig,

In my opinion a Comet gear lever is not straight as in your Burman parts poster. I think it should be this one:

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Attachments

• gearlever.jpg
    gearlever.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 19

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
In my opinion a Comet gear lever is not straight as in your Burman parts poster. I think it should be this one:

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I don't know if it is the correct one or not, but that's what mine looks like, the one that came with my Comet basket case when I bought it in the early '80s.

nobby

VOC Member
do not know the quality of new ones at the moment, but in the past, about ten years ago, someone made a batch that you could break with two fingers. I had several of them...
I might have one or two older, so not-snapping ones, under the bench. Am sorting out parts, so it has to come visible one of these days...

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
thanks , but i need a replacement for a broken gear lever.

I was in Draganfly, Bungay, Suffolk, 01986 894798/982826, about a month ago about another matter but I asked them about Burman gear levers. They showed me one of a batch they have had made. These are cranked like the original Comet lever. I did not have a Comet lever to hand and so could not compare the two. It is possible that the splined hole is a different size but it might be worth making an enquiry. They are not open on Saturdays unfortunately.

Last edited:

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Nobby,
Hope you and Anti are well?

I have seen both straight and cranked gear levers, both on bikes that have been un restored, and as left the factory.
I suspect that PCV bought what ever was available at the time

Cheers
Neil

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Craig, I think Paul Ennis told us a while ago, That an old Norton one fitted, If you can go to auto boot fair, And take your old one to check the splines. I think the you should have a cranked one, Like Nobby says, The straight one I think was on the "A"s. Cheers Bill.

nkt267

VOC Member
The thing to watch out for on Burman gearlevers is that the 350 and 500 have different size splines,the 350 being smaller though the casting seems to be the same. Also the lever for the Comet is not straight,forget about the bends that is not what I'm refering to. If you took a standard Burman lever then the 'pedal' end is inline with the split clamp and the centre line of the splines,the one for the Comet has the 'pedal' above the centre line so that the gear indicator does not foul the lever in top gear.
If you are not bothered about the indicator the a standaerd 500cc Burman lever will fit.
Now for the best bit--350cc levers are fairly plentiful, bore out the splines to 3/4". Get a spare selector shaft and(with great difficulty) put 2 steps each about 1/16 to 1/8 inch long on the shaft.The first step to almost remove all the spline and the second to about half the spline depth, you now have a broach to form new spline in your bored out gearlever.
I only have a 2 ton flypress which was not man enough to do the job, so i used my 6 inch vice instead.
Spread the clamp end slightly(not so much that it will break) with some packing and put a bolt in to stop the clamp opening out, and then start to press the broach into the lever.Take small bites at it and remove the broach regularly to lubricate it. Once you can get it all the way through, you may have to finish from the other side, remove the packing and tighten up the clamp and run the broach through again a few times till it has reasonable splines.
This is not a very tidy solution but I have done a couple and they work well, and the levers cost me less than £5 .John

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I know not everybody likes evil-bay but there are several on ebay UK at the moment:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burman-al...30?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f1ea666d6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burman-al...68?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f1ea658ec

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Leve...23?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27cc8760b3

Not sure if any are correct post war Vincent parts. What I can tell you is series "A" were not straight. They were cranked sideways usually at quite a sharp angle and were made of steel and chrome plated.

Img_2104-1.jpg

Cheers

Simon.