Gardiner carbs

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Tim, I am not sure but I think the float height is half way up the 32mm hole, Which seems a bit high, But it's a strange carb. At one time I used car SU float bowls. Good Luck Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Bill
thats helped my winter job -But I must admit what I know about SU carbs is they fitted them to PU Thunderbirds and since they are a tin box item there are a lot of different sorts...

nobby

VOC Member
This pdf information about the Gardner carb can be found on our own main club site, for members only...
Or go, after log in, to: Info-Technical-Gardner carburettor

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Tim, The float bowls I used were off the old Mini's 1 1/4" SU, Not sure they will be any good if you are on Dope !! Cheers Bill, The Nobby Info' is good.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
from memory gardner do not insist on the use of float chambers. i read and re-read the instructions when i fitted them to my r g s. Ron is very approachable, if you can explain how it runs(or doesent) he will make new needles to better suit your motor.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Thanks Bill
thats helped my winter job -But I must admit what I know about SU carbs is they fitted them to PU Thunderbirds and since they are a tin box item there are a lot of different sorts...

Hi Tim,
As you know I have 32mm Gardners on my Egli. They originally had matchbox floats which I felt were too small so I sold them for a fortune and fitted SU floats, probably from a Sprog eyed Fright!
Float level is set at quarter of an inch above the jet at full throttle.
Sounds like you have the wrong taper on your needle. They are numbered, as are the holders. Ron Gardner should be able to advise.

nortonpower

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Clarification to my carbs

Finally managed to get into the VOC forum and realized after sniffin´around some of you may need advice:

As it seems that some of you struggled in fitting/tuning the Gardners on your bike - here is what I do with my homemade carbs - this should work as well on original Gardners:

Get a floatchamber from the old Amal carb, convert it as shown in the pic of my bike and set the floatlevel 1/4" above to bottom of carbs throat. This will give you an easy coldstart as well - you tickle the float, hold the throttle wide open and kick the engine over two or three times with ignition off. As the gas pours in for the last 1/4" the engine will be wet enough now for an easy cold start. Works every time on my bike. I always make my needles very lean and take a file with me on the first ride. Leave the needle where it is at a good tickover - should be around 3 turns out from fully in. Go ride the bike and if it seems lean - take the needle out and file the flat a couple 100/mm upwards from 1/4 open. Put back in, check tickover and ride again. Should be much better now. Check at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 openings. I have yet to find an engine that needed different angles of the flat on the needle. If you overdid the filing and filed accidently the upper portion of the flat of needle and the tickover is gone you can turn the needle in one or two turns. If two turns is still not enough simply lower the float by 3mm. Should lean it a bit and restore the tickover. I run 38mm carbs on my bike - revs freely above 6000 and has a steady tickover. If weather is cold I turn both needles out one turn (while riding the bike) - if its hot I turn them in one more turn. No other carb can be tuned while riding the thing! By the way: it is for sale - if anyone is interested in a very special HRD - contact me.
Cheers

Hartmut

Last edited: