Gardener regulator

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello,
would be glad of any thoughts on an over charging problem with my Chinamo and Gardener set up.
Any thing up to 8 amps continuous at normal engine speed.
Two years ago I fitted a new battery, good quality Varta. the following year the system was over charging and the only cure was a new battery. This battery has now gone the same way.
Another local member has the same problem with a gardener unit, the question is, is it the battery or the Gardener unit? Has the construction of batteries changed?
I have a spare Gardener unit but this give the same result.
John.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
JG Regulator

John, I wonder your Regulator is properly earthed? I don't know if it is important with a JG but it certainly was with my belt driven alternator. Poor earthing with that resulted in boiled battery!

john998

VOC Member
Hello Len,
Good to hear from you.
When The first battery failed I checked all the connections as it was my first thought. The regulator has a separate earth as it is bolted to the battery Carrier, and I was not too sure how good the circuit was It begins to look as though the battery does not suit the regulator or vice versa.
Regards John.

paw99

VOC Member
John - what voltage is at the battery when charging?
That may indicate where your problem lies.
I suspect for 8 amps. it must be more than the recommended charging voltage (which I can't remember at the moment!)
Regards
Peter

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
It is a twelve volt system. To day I fitted a new battery only to find that unlike the first time it has not help the problem.
The voltage is rising to 14.6 and showing a 6 amp charge, this with a fully charged battery, by voltage and SG.
So it looks like the Gardener unit is at fault this time.
Does anyone make a regulator that is wired the same as the Gardener? I ask this as I would prefer not to disturb the
Chinamo, it is oil tight, and working well. The AO and the Hawker regulator are wired as per Lucas, the Gardener is
wired without one end of the field coil being earthed.
John.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Page 73 of the 2010/11 Vehicle Wiring products catalogue shows five different types of regulator. I have no experience of Chinamos but possibly one of these will be suitable.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have fitted to a Chinamo a Manortec DVR2 electronic regulator from Dynamo Regulators Ltd. It's small, fits in a miller case, does not get hot, has internal protection against overload and wrong connection and balances 12v 70w load at 45mph in top gear on my twin. You can wire the regulator for 6v or 12v output by just connecting or disconnecting the fourth wire. No need for a new regulator if updating from 6v to 12v at a later date if you are currently 6v. You just have to specify the polarity of you bike.
Only problem for you John is the dynamo has to be wired with one end of the field connected to earth and the control box connects between F and D which I think is the Lucas way.

Highly recommended though. No personal connection with the manufacturer, just a satisfied customer. See:

http://www.dynamoregulators.com/index.html

Cheers,
Simon

Len Matthews

VOC Member
That's two recommendations I've heard about these units so I've ordered one. Presently I'm using an AO Services regulator on the Shadow which is OK except that at idle the ammeter shows a discharge and lots of revs are needed to balance the headlamp load.