Garage Security

G

Graham Smith

If you ever had doubts as to whether to install additional security devices in your garage, you might be interested to hear what happened to a mate of mine.

He recently advertised his motorcycle (non Vincent) for sale, and someone came to view it (the only person). The deal was struck, and the following day, the guy came back with the cash and took the bike away - perfectly genuine.

The following night, while my mate and his girlfriend were in bed, someone who obviously knew the bike was there, got under his van (which was blocking the garage door), then cut the brake cables, rolled the van back, drilled out the door lock, somehow lifted two security bolts, then opened the garage door - only to find that the bike wasn't in there.

It's incredible the lengths that some people will go to steal your pride and joy.

One thing I always do is to make sure nobody is following me before I get home. If there's a car on my tail, I just go 'around the block' to see if they're following me or a it's just a coincidence.

However, maybe I'll install some extra security on my garage now.

Has anyone got any experience of these?... http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79478...Security/Garage-Door-Security/Garage-Defender

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
I've got one these (or very similar) on a rented lock up with standard up and over door, no bikes in there just the trailer and 'domestic' stuff. No breakins as yet but maybe not enough motive for the b......ds to try.

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Security Devices

The problem with all the security devices is that you spend every day for years having to secure and unsecure your property for the maybe one time that some low life might help himself to it. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done its just that its so frustrating and troublesome. It seems that no matter what steps you take, there is always some scum bag that goes one step further.
My last shed was barred out and locked down with movement sensors and alarms. Cost me a bit and I lost all that effort and expense to the ex wife. Now I can not afford to do it again. Come to think of it, the statistics are that you run a greater chance of loosing your possessions to your (ex)wife than you do to a thief. (is there a difference?).

Phelps.

deejay499

VOC Member
Graham. I used a similar T lock on the outside for many years. I liked the idea that it can be seen and would have to be attacked from outside with a sledge hammer or the like as it is buried in the concrete. `Comet` has locking bolts inside which I think are also a great way to go, though you do need a secure side door, which he has. DJ
P.S. Don`t forget this is a public access site and names should not be given.

nkt267

VOC Member
P.S. Don`t forget this is a public access site and names should not be given
Why are more of these topics not posted on the club secure side of the site.
John

ossie

VOC Member
locks

with a petrol powered block paving cutters nothings safe.
my freind rolled his bike forward on to his disc lock and could not unlock with the key as it distorted it,it was outside his house opposite mine so i got my angle cutter out and in 2 minutes it was off? this was supposed to be thief proof as well
plastic doors and windows are no match for a small blowlamp either.
just get a large dog and tether it to your bike [but do water and feed it].

OSSIE

G

Graham Smith

I can't visualize how that Screwfix device secures the door.

It doesn't fix to the door, it fixes to the ground, so that when it's in place it prevents the door being opened.

I think they're more usually found used on 'up and over' garage doors.

G

Graham Smith

Why are more of these topics not posted on the club secure side of the site.
John

When I started this thread, it was only 'for information' and subsequently didn't contain any information that couldn't be given to 'non members'.