Garage Security

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Theft prevention

If one buys a tracker, for between £50 and £400, then it will 'phone you if your P and J is moved, and tell you exactly where it is. When Plod finally gets into gear, it'll tell you where it is now, a day later, via Google Earth. (Don't complain: if we brought in "private sector expertise", they'd be worse.) Plod may not have Google Earth but you can mount a vigilante expedition........

They're widely used by caravan owners. Apparently the smart thing to do is paint your post code on the caravan roof so police spotter planes can identify it as it is stolen down the M6, while the stealers are unaware of this.........

There's a particularly neat tracker sold for £200 by Phil Cragg (as publicised in Real Classic, the only publication you actually NEED apart from MPH) at www.headstartpets.co.uk. Originally he planned to sell it to owners of expensive dogs - Ariel SQ4's? AJS Silver Hawks? Rough Inferiors? Hardly Ablesons? - hence the name. Typing "caravan trackers" into Google will bring up lots more.

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In reality all you can do is make it more difficult to take a bike - nothing will stop the informed, equipped, determined thief. Things that make a noise are good – my wife still cant understand why the garage is alarmed but the house is not ! .
My mate recently lost a garage load of bikes – he had locks and padlocks and scaffolding poles securing the garage and parked his van up against it at night. The thief broke into the kitchen window – put his hand round the side of the door to where all the keys were hanging on their key hooks - took all of the keys, moved the van, unlocked the garage and the padlocks, loaded the bikes into the van and drove off -all while my mate slept like a baby in the house. – lost one van and 3 bikes.
I suppose its good reason to alarm the house as well as the garage!

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yeah , it amazes me how people overlook the location of keys !!! Only prob is , even if keys are hidden thieves could break in and force you to hand them over.
Agreed about , noise , plus bright light. Rig up a fire siren and blue flashing light to a door / window etc trigger and most thieves would drop their bowels and do one !! I remember a surpise fire alarm test in our business premises once , I jumper further than an Olympic athlete !!!