C: Clutch G91/1Extended Clutch lever.

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Alyn, I fitted the modified G91 from the club spares. I found I needed a new G93 & G95 as my existing wouldn’t fit the new. (With the parts they supplied there was no interference fit of the pin G95 to either the lever or plunger which I would have expected one or the other to be - I had to tack the pin to the G93 with weld). part of the modified kit was the mushroom headed ET27* which combined with the extra ‘leg’ on the G91 gives the little extra lift. Your G91 is back to front in the photos as noted by Robin -could you mark the position of the pin hole on the gearbox side of the G91 and then take some new photos please? I may have my kickstart cover off in the next week or so and can take some photos then if no one else comes along sooner.

*The ET27 supplied was over generously long and needed to be trimmed back on the part protruding outside the cover.

Albervin

VOC Member
I will take more photos. I think I may have solved the problem. My gearbox cover has an extra hole drilled and tapped below where the standard ET27 fits. It also has an extra "hole" machined for the G93 below the standard hole. I am thinking that the previous owner made his own modified clutch lever. My lever looks identical to the new shiny one in oldhaven's picture.

Albervin

VOC Member
Starting to get my head around this now. First of all, apologies to VOCS and Ian Savage. I thought the extended clutch lever was similar to the one that was in my Shadow when I bought it It isn't. It was a home made extended lever using a different pivot point. See photos. With the lever now fitted (correct way) I see it needs a bit of grinding to clear the case. BUT I also see the cable hook is fouling the gearbox inspection cap. Do I grind a slot in the cap? I will need to buy an FT27/2SS apparently and also remove the "plug" I fitted to the original hole. Then plug the redundant hole. Two steps forward and one step back.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    464 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    512 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1428.jpeg
    IMG_1428.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1429.jpeg
    IMG_1429.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 37

Albervin

VOC Member
I remember from my experience with getting a V3 to lift as much as possible that the extra length of the 91/1 is designed to work with the mod internal adjuster which catches the tip on an increased diameter with no ball in the center. It has been several years since I did the work. I also remember removing a bit of metal from the lever to get it to move easily in its recess.
I have a standard clutch lever in my Rapide for my V3 but my Shadow has a Suzuki clutch. I had a very bad experience with a Suzuki clutch in 1999 at the International. It dragged badly and nearly drove me into a roundabout but finally marooned me on top of a Scottish Pass.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Starting to get my head around this now. First of all, apologies to VOCS and Ian Savage. I thought the extended clutch lever was similar to the one that was in my Shadow when I bought it It isn't. It was a home made extended lever using a different pivot point. See photos. With the lever now fitted (correct way) I see it needs a bit of grinding to clear the case. BUT I also see the cable hook is fouling the gearbox inspection cap. Do I grind a slot in the cap? I will need to buy an FT27/2SS apparently and also remove the "plug" I fitted to the original hole. Then plug the redundant hole. Two steps forward and one step back.
You say FT/, Do you mean ET/ ?, Maybe the lever won't come as far back as into the cap ?,
I see they have made the arm with more room for the cable nipple, Which is good,
I have had the cable pop out a few times, When slack, So I put a bit of wire round it.

Albervin

VOC Member
You say FT/, Do you mean ET/ ?, Maybe the lever won't come as far back as into the cap ?,
I see they have made the arm with more room for the cable nipple, Which is good,
I have had the cable pop out a few times, When slack, So I put a bit of wire round it.
D'oh! Too much Christmas cheer I thinks.... Yes, ET27/2SS.... Until fitted I won't know how much movement there will be. Cheers.. Hic... Hic..

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am still trying to get over that 3rd hole !, In the cover ,
You just never know what you will find when playing with Vincent's !.
I have a cover with a Jaguar Hydraulic cylinder on the outside !,
Must have come out of a Car ?.

I have been talking to one of our Members with a "D" Distributor,
He said there is no movement on the rotor arm, So I said pop the base plate off,
To check the bob weights ?,
Only to find the cam has been welded on the shaft, And there are NO bob weights !!,
And nothing in the T/case to advance the timing either.

And I thought I was BAD !.

Albervin

VOC Member
I am still trying to get over that 3rd hole !, In the cover ,
You just never know what you will find when playing with Vincent's !.
I have a cover with a Jaguar Hydraulic cylinder on the outside !,
Must have come out of a Car ?.

I have been talking to one of our Members with a "D" Distributor,
He said there is no movement on the rotor arm, So I said pop the base plate off,
To check the bob weights ?,
Only to find the cam has been welded on the shaft, And there are NO bob weights !!,
And nothing in the T/case to advance the timing either.

And I thought I was BAD !.
Bill, think about a totally new longer clutch lever with new pivot point.