G: Gearbox (Twin) G87/1 Kickstart Return Spring Replacement

G

Graham Smith

The kickstart return spring snapped on my Shadow last weekend, and I've just gone to fit a replacement and note the ends of the spring are different.

My local friendly go-to expert tells me that he thought both ends of the spring were identical, but as you can see from the photographs, these aren't.

Ultimately, what I guess I really want to know is, if this is a modified spring from the Spares Company, and it's the right one, which way up does it fit?

Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 19.28.45.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 19.28.39.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 19.28.33.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 19.28.23.jpg

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Only a guess , But I would put the ring on the lower end,
I think I have fitted them , But not sure.
Lots of ways to fit it, I have used brute force ,
But I think Dave Hills showed us by fitting some washers between the rings it makes
The spring longer and the washers are welded to a rod,
When both ends are fitted , Just move the Kicker down and the washers will slide out,
Must try it when I have time !,
But the springs are much better now, So it's not a job you have to do often,
Not like the old days.
Good luck, Bill.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have changed several of those "in situ" including one in an early B kickstart cover in a motel parking lot in Republic Washington. You're welcome MSVH Saves a lot of agro with taking all the bits apart to change it. The last one was in a Hotel parking lot in Zell em See when heading for the Italian International in 2015. You're welcome Howie!

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Well Robert. You are good for something unlike the rest of us. I won't mention having to help pull a certain bike out of a ditch near Castlegar. Then following said bike, eating gobs of mud, all the way to Manning Park.

Albervin

VOC Member
Legend and lore says these can be changed in situ. In reality you have to have a Series B cover to have any hope in hell of doing that. THEN you have to be stronger than the average 75Kg middle aged man. I have broken two springs and both had broken at the top of the spring. If you look at where the forces are I would like two eyes on the spring. As it is I would fit the eye at the bottom and the other end so that open part is facing forward. Disclaimer! I am a chemist and not an engineer.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Graham, you could try this for fitting... make a loop of wire and put it through the top spring eye, poke a screwdriver down the bore of the spring and use it to put the bottom spring eye over the peg on the quadrant, use another screwdriver through the loop of wire to lift the top spring eye onto its peg. Cheers, Stu.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well I have never had a "B",
But done it a few times !,
Must admit I am BAD ,
And have levered a long screw driver against the edge of the Cap hole !!
Always protecting the threads !, Well sometimes !.
Ron was just going out on Maggies Twin and the spring went,
Down in Devon a few years ago, But soon up and running,
He wasn't going to miss that Ride.
Knew I had seen them before, I took 4 down to Ron's !.

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_074926.jpg
    IMG_20210719_074926.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 29

oexing

VOC Member
We are very lucky to have this forum, big Thank You , Graham, so I learned about the kickstart spring matter to think long and wide. Seems the very hard sparepart spring gets stretched at full stroke and consequently returns the lever just, but only just to the upper stop. I mostly do springs in stainless steel which are softer and don´t break, bend maybe if overloaded. In the photo the smaller softer SS spring, looks like it will do allright, no lever fitted yet. Maybe new springs could be produced in SS steel for no more breakages and no stretch from first kick ??

Vic
P1070812.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The new springs are much better Vic.
I think Grahams bike has been laid up a long time.
The Kicker is a very long heavy thing.
With a long throw. Because a 998 cc
Is a big lump to kick.
Cheers Bill.