G8/1 gear

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, Trevor, no particular reason except I have not seen that particular grade of steel
Used for Vincent gears before. John.

clevtrev

VOC Member
materials2.jpg
materials1.jpg

For those who think rocking horse manure exists.

clevtrev

VOC Member
How many warranty claims / failiures were caused by these substitutions? glad mine was made in '51.
I shouldn`t think any, being as the replacement materials are more than adequate for the job.
Also remember that shortage affected all the manufacturing bodies in the country. I remember it at De Havilland, during my apprenticeship.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Clevtrev

In 1966 PCV wrote concerning the period that included the Korean war:-

"...which brought shortages of nickel chrome steel, supplies of which were regulated officially. We were compelled to use inferior substitutes for gearbox gears and other highly stressed parts, much against our will. Our tests had shown that the dogs wore rapidly and teeth snapped off under severe shocks, and the results of our tests were proven correct in practice in the hands of owners. But the only alternative was to go out of production. Nearly half the total output of Rapide gearboxes that we built incorporated these substitute steels. Apart from ruining the reputation of a good gearbox they cost us the earth in free replacements under guarantee."

Tatty