• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

G2 Gearbox Cover (Twin) - Repair Scheme

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Hi All,

I have a G2 Gearbox Cover ("Manhole Cover") with stripped threads where the steel ring (MO32 - G45) screws in to locate the bearing properly and support the G24 seal. Being one who much prefers to reclaim an original part rather than buy a new one, my original thought was to build-up the threaded area with alloy weld, then machine back and cut the thread as appropriate. However, I then started to worry about distortion so decided I'd be better off machining-out the remains of the thread - and some - then making an internally-threaded alloy ring to press-in so bringing it all back to standard.

Before I start, does anyone have any thoughts on this, tips, or other ideas?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Hmmm, must manufacture and replace the damaged gear in the headstock of the lathe before I do anything else... life for the retired is just SO busy...

JaapDeurloo

Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
I had the same problem last week, and I cut a new bigger thread in the cover, and made also a bigger lockring. DSC00457.jpgIMG_0649.jpgIMG_0650.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

A_HRD

VOC Member
G2 Repair

Jaap,

A simple and effective solution! Thanks for sharing and taking photos too.
And some quality work there too....

Regards, Peter

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Peter. I have had one on the shelf for about 10 years awaiting me to tackle it, now I think it might come to the "current jobs" pile, If " life for the retired wasn't just SO busy... "

Warning! This thread is more than 11yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.