G: Gearbox (Twin) G101 Starter Pinion Bush (two sizes ?)

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I noticed a small crack on the bush of my starter pinion, which otherwise is in perfect shape. My spare, worn out, starter pinion has a nice bush. After pressing them both out I notice one is taller than the other. In the spares they only show one size, not sure which one. Is there a reason for this, is one better than the other, can anyone enlighten me please ? I should mention the starter pinions are identical in height. Thanks for any info, Alyson Oh, and Happy New Year !!
g101.JPG

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Well, where to start...

The bronze follows the bore in the pinion.
So it schrinks inside an interference fit.

Better machine it to the exact diameter of the main long axle.
Minimum Play about 0.02mm.
Note, take up the pinion in a premachined soft jaw chuck.

One can not sell bronze bushes and expect them to be exact.

Alsways some fiddeling is needed.

Cheers for in about 12 H. I guess

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Alyson, Is yours an electric starter ?,
I have never fitted one , But I think that bit and the gear it's in is made more narrow ,
When an Electric starter is fitted ?.
Cheers Bill.

Alyson

VOC Member
Hello Alyson, Is yours an electric starter ?,
I have never fitted one , But I think that bit and the gear it's in is made more narrow ,
When an Electric starter is fitted ?.
Cheers Bill.
Hi Bill, gears are exactly the same in every dimension. Just the bush was longer where it fits into the bore of the gear. Otherwise, the bush o.d. is the same, and i.d. are the same, just the overall length differs and I was wondering if perhaps one was an older bush and one was newer ? Both gears are used, just one is used up and the other is not. The used up one has the shorter bush but not cracked, the excellent gear had the longer bush but hairline crack on the outside return leg of the bush/shoulder. Barely noticeable, but seen. Thanks Tons, Alyson

Bill Thomas

VOC Member

The photos from Phil Marhood show a more narrow G46 ? Plus bush ?.

Alyson

VOC Member

The photos from Phil Marhood show a more narrow G46 ? Plus bush ?.
Hi Bill, both bushes were removed from the same sized G46 (not narrowed). One bush was longer, but both G46 gears were the same. I was just wondering if anyone else encountered this anomoly ? Perhaps, someone at some time made their own G101 bush so it's possible it's not even a works thing. I'm all about small details so that's why I brought this up. Alyson

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you look at some other threads, You will know Vincent Owners are always playing !,
Over so many years who knows what and why !, Bits welded on, And bits sawn off !.
I have done a few Mod's myself :D ,
But lots of FUN, Enjoy.

Attachments

• DSCN0173.JPG
    DSCN0173.JPG
    542.1 KB · Views: 11

Cyborg

VOC Member
I have 2 G46 (on the bench) with bushings in them. Also a NOS G101 bushing to replace the worn one.
All 3 bushings are about .5050 in width if that helps.

Alyson

VOC Member
I have 2 G46 (on the bench) with bushings in them. Also a NOS G101 bushing to replace the worn one.
All 3 bushings are about .5050 in width if that helps.
Hi Cyborg, Yes, that settles it. I should have mic'd them first. Short one mics at +- .440 and the larger at +- .520 so the larger one should be considered the appropriate size. I'll order a new one. Is your N.O.S. one from VOCspares ? Thanks again, and Happy New Year, Alyson

Cyborg

VOC Member
NOS as in New (very)Old Stock. Probably purchased sometime in the 70’s, but no idea where from.