Fuel Tap Leak

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
David, what you say about PTFE in the fuel tank makes sense, But Goffy's NORBSA website seems to indicate it is O.K. on threads. It seems to work for me, anyhow.

davidd

VOC Member
David
I am always interested in the products you often suggest but I am amazed by the way american manufactures ignore the european market I get a sinking feeling when I follow "where to buy" and I get a map of the US "not found" is a strange way to reply to the entry "london uk" . But I suppose when you have the whole US market you can forget Europe

I always check to make sure the product is current, but distribution is another thing. I am surprised that the need in the UK is not just as great for these products. The EZ Turn grease was developed for the military by United Erie and it used to be you had to ask someone in the Service for some. It has been available to civilians for quite a while primarily through aircraft suppliers. It does beg the question, "What do UK aircraft mechanics use?" The EZ Turn grease is something that is worth pursuing. I bought the 1 lb. tin, took a table spoon, which is probably a life time supply, and gave the can to an S.O. for distribution to others. It is soap based and works as a lubricant and a thread sealer. Maybe someone coming to the U.S. can get a can back to the UK? Aircraft Spruce has a distributor in Canada also if that is of help.

David

paulpackman

Forum User
VOC Member
For many years every winter I have lapped in my petrol taps with Autosol mettle polish.
The taps are the tapered brass type with a corrugated spring below the lever to ensure engagement of the
tapered brass plug into the brass body. All held together with an internal circlip.
I used to knock the pin out that retained the lever, remove the circlip and lap the tapered plug into the body
of the tap with a small electric drill and a spot of Autosol cleaning thoroughly after before reassembly.
The taps were petrol tight for about a year before they needed another regrind.
A couple of years ago I turned a small groove in the outer (larger) end of the tapered plugs and fitted small
O rings in them which has stopped external leakage from the taps. However I have found that the groove has to be
dead true to the valve stem and of precise depth otherwise the O ring will hold off the tapered plug against
its engagement spring and petrol will leek to the carburettor. Get it right and it works a treat.
No more grinding (I hope !)

chstorm

Forum User
VOC Member
I just ordered a "United EZ Turn Fuelube - 5 oz tube" from a company in the U.S. called Sky Geek, www.SkyGeek.com
They send internationally by mail order. Price: $8.60 + postage $15.25 to Norway. Payment with credit card or PayPal

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
I made my own fuel taps about 10 years ago using homemade PTFE seals clamped onto a parallel cock, the taps mimicking the outside appearance of a normal taper cock tap. Petrol hasn't affected the PTFE in all that time.
Paul.