Fuel Tanks

ah_sprite

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,
I'm a 16 year old mad-keen enthusiast of Vincents (rather unusual, I know!), living in Cumbria, UK.
I'm not an owner of a 'cycle yet but I dream of owning one one day. I currently have a '67 MGB GT and a '70 Midget which I'll be using once I pass my test (25 days 'til my 17th Birthday!).

Whilst owning a Vincent is currently out of the equation, I was wondering what sort of money I'd be looking at for a fuel tank for any model?
This'd be purely for decoration.

I've seen this one on eBay, but realise this isn't a genuine Vincent item, and probably from a custom bike:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1960s-Vincent...ryZ36796QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
16 YO Vinny fanatic is unusual in the extreme , but just what the club needs for it's future !! Your very welcome here , but beware , when Vincents get into your blood there is no turning back !!
Fuel tank is basically the same on all post war models , the Comet included. You would pay upwards of £500 for one in good condition. Repro's are being made though.

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi Ah Sprite. Welcome to our pages. Good to hear from a young un. Where did your interest come from? As Tnecniv said, beware, it is contagious.
I was interested in Vincents when leaving school at 15, got a Rapide and Steib outfit a couple of years later, which was my first bike to learn on. That was 1962 and have had one ever since. Easy to get into bad habits!
Perhaps someone local will get in touch and give you a ride.:cool:
Good luck.

ah_sprite

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I've always had a passive interest in proper 'cycles, until about 6 months ago when I started looking more into them and learning more about them. It was at this point that I discovered Vincents! I'm a classic car man at heart, and I've already owned 10 cars. DeeJay, you're a lucky bloke to have had a Vin' at that age!

Does anyone know of any locals that own Vincents? I'm near Barrow in Furness in South Cumbria.

I really fancy something very old and british to restore now that I've just finished my 'BGT that had been standing since '78! (by the way, I have a blog for that car here: http://www.1798ccdustymagiccarpet.blogspot.com)

Oh well, I guess even a basket-case Vincent is way out of my price range; I can but dream!

Rich

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Regrettably that is now the problem with ambition to own a Vincent , they have become so valuable. Vincents appeared on my radar at around 20 , it took me 10 years to bite the money bullet and buy one. The logic being , if I don't do it now I may never be able to !! SO glad I did now that any post war twin is £20k + !!!
Personally, I think that even now they are undervalued , with Broughs fetching £100k I reckon it won't be long before Vincents ascend to greatly beyond their current price. Broughs are nice but they are still not really thoroughbred in the sense that Vincents are.
I'd like to suggest possibilities for your restoration project , so how old are you thinking ?

ah_sprite

Forum User
VOC Member
Feel free to make some suggestions!

To be perfectly honest, somethingn from early sixties backwards would be ideal. Something which has proper soul and character, along with super styling!

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Feel free to make some suggestions!

To be perfectly honest, somethingn from early sixties backwards would be ideal. Something which has proper soul and character, along with super styling!
This is never easy but here goes.
Triumph Tiger Cub & BSA Bantam are the default first classics for many. The Cub has great style as do most of the Edward Turner era Triumphs. I have a Bantam and love it to bits !!
Matchless singles , as an unorthodox choice how about a WD G3L !! This is the second world war military machine , very interesting as a restoration project , funky and very nice to ride although styling is not really applicable !!
Ariel Arrow !! Uber styled machine and very advanced for it's time. I rode one of these a few years ago and was captivated by it's style and handling.
Triumph Daytona , slick styling , frisky performance , great handling , nice sound !!
This is mad , but ticks the soul and character boxes well !! Velocette LE !! I will say no more just look it up !!