Fuel Tanks

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Having had many Japaness bikes from the 60's and 70's. One cannot complain to hard, my 1978 CX500 despite the early problems with camchain tentioners has now reached 155,000 miles. I've had to weld the frame more times than i can remember not done anything to the engine or driveline.

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
what to buy?

I'm as biased as the next man!! A.M.C. singles and B.S.A.s-not latter unit const. are still reasonably priced good honest bikes, dare I mention Morinis? pretty and quick for their size-and often under the dreaded 33 b.h.p.Not british, but not J------e!!

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
when you consider the British were making AMC singles years after my little Honda was built (1962) it is easy to see why they all disappeared.

125cc twin overhead cam engine with electric start.
15 HP at 10500rpm - yes ten and a half thou !!!
magnesium wheels and TLS vented front brake that I would dearly love on my Rapide.
78mph top speed - or so the manual said but I never got mine over 70 !
electrics that worked - and still work after 45 years !
the only time you see the oil is when you change it !

I've nothing against AMC singles - infact I race a G80 Matchless scrambler, however I also know good engineering when I see it and the Japanese set new standards in the 60s - they should be respected for this; even if their cheeshead screws strip and alloy heads wear out :)

Good idea with the Morinis - you can get them for peanuts and they are a great little bike - likewise V50 Guzzis.

Attachments

• cb92_3.jpg
    cb92_3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: