Fuel system on '48 B Rapide

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
rearcw.jpgbothcw.jpg

Some years ago my brother and I bought a late 1948 B Rapide (October engine number) as boxes of parts that I am finally getting close to finished. It originally was imported into Canada by Grant Budd of Prairie Motorcycles, ended up in Southern California, and then sat for many years disassembled in a loft over an auto repair shop in Maine. The California plates show it was last on the road in '66, and that is about the time it came to Maine. Included in the jumble was what appears to be original fuel lines. It did not have the A62AS in the boxes but had an A75 as was fitted to Meteor or early Comets, or at least that is what KTB opines. The float bowl looks like it may not be right too. My question is whether this was also ever used for B twins on rear carbs? I have attached photos of the setup as it appears to have been used, after I cleaned up the parts a bit. The odd assortment of banjos may have been the way it was used. (the A62AS pictured is a recent purchase for the rebuild. Also note the oil filler cap that came with it in the boxes) Of course the years since or the period between '48 and '66 may have changed a lot of things on the machine. For instance, the upper frame member is also a B item, with a non matching number from another B Rapide shipped to Prairie at the same time. I wonder if it was fitted that way at some point before or after it sold in Canada and has been that way practically since new?

Ron

b'knighted

VOC Member
The oil cap appears to say " FOR WINTER OIL" where I believe the original cap would have said " FOR WINTFR OIL".
Would this make it a replacement cap?

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I'm sure it is original, as the chrome has begun to be rubbed off the brass or bronze cap. It says Ceandess Ltd Wolverhampton on the inside, and PAT No 322291. It does say WINTER Though I have another one I got later that says WINTFR. The one that came with the Rapide seems to list higher grade oils like Golden Shell and Essolube Racer.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On fuel filler caps , original caps were flat across the tops while most other Brit bike caps were gently domed . And the oil filler caps were also flat with oil recommendations stamped into the top surface . All other bikes used an oil cap having a smooth surface .
Both caps on Vincents were drilled for venting . The drilling was often missing on others .
I always enlarge the hole by one drill size going fully through all internal surfaces and out the bottom . Many Vincent s are starved for fuel if the hole is too small or clogged when running fast , at speeds of 70- 75 and over with both taps open , this can cause burnt pistons due to overheating . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
More on cap vents , if you have eliminated the chain oiler , many did this in the past and plugged off the threaded hole in the rear of the oil tank with a sump plug .
When this is done the filler cap hole must be enlarged to prevent pressure build up in the oil tank and stress the oil pump . MUST be done . Let's out the water vapor too . Sid .

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Only some caps had WINTFR. Someone at CEEANDESS must have got creative, because my original Comet one had the vent hole drilled where the bottom horizontal stroke of the "E" would have been! I also have an oddball cap with AEROSHELL and CASTROL GRAND PRIX on it. It is probably from another make, but I've not been able to track it down.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
My Amal factory list says; "B" Rapide 1946-49 Front carb.276CJ/1DO with float chamber type 64/156B. Later Rapides had 276DQ/1DV float chamber type 64/154B. No need for double banjoes on Twins as both sides of tank can supply both carburettors. Maybe a Meteor owner did a nifty shifty when the 'bike was in the workshop! I don't know how to enlarge photos for a better look, sorry.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks CB, I should have reported the numbers, but here they are: Front carb is rather crudely stamped at the intake 276 CJ/1DO with a short arm float bowl stamped 1DO with no other identification. The rear is a smaller font finely stamped 276CH/2DS with a long arm float bowl stamped 2DS, and 64-161 cast into the bowl.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Only some caps had WINTFR. Someone at CEEANDESS must have got creative, because my original Comet one had the vent hole drilled where the bottom horizontal stroke of the "E" would have been! I also have an oddball cap with AEROSHELL and CASTROL GRAND PRIX on it. It is probably from another make, but I've not been able to track it down.

Bikes destined for hotter climes had a different cap with heavier oils specified.

davidd

VOC Member
Ron,

Carleton should be back in Vermont in a few days. You should send the info to him. He is very good with the early B information.

Nice to see you on the forum. I have just begun building up the Comet engine and frame that you were selling at Auburn thirty odd years ago.

David