Fuel reserve

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks to everyone who answered. My 9 miles isn't unprecedented!

(The problem is that in the highlands, villages are few, villages with filling stations fewer, and villages with a fuel station open on a Sunday are rare birds indeed. I usually get about 120 miles from a tank at the speeds I choose to travel at - 60 to 70 mph. But with often 50 miles between petrol stations one has to be VERY confident to sail past one after only 70 miles travelled. And stopping every 70 miles makes for long journeys. Hence the acquisition of a 5 gallon tank.)

Alan J

VOC Member
9 miles then push!! easy to say "don't runout"-my old '28 B.S.A. does about 65 miles before it's time to push! I have on all my bikes a cycle "speedo thingy"-they tell you all you need to know and more! Alan j.

nkt267

VOC Member
Go dual-fuel Tom..Whisky/petrol..The distilleries up your way are more frequent than petrol stations.:D..John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
That's certainly true: seven (the magificent seven..) on Islay alone, and literally hundreds around Speyside. ( It makes more sense than running on ethanol, aka vodka...better vapour trails...)

Garmin isn't much use: my wife has a sat-nav and about 2o% of those listed are closed. Less of a issue for a Volvo diesel with a 580 mile range...

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
For some reason my last post on this topic disappeared somewhere.

I measured the reserve capacity of my five gallon tank the other day. It is 3.3 litres, 3/4 gallon. Given that the 2.75 litres of the standard tank is good for no more than 9 miles, that might be good for 12. Happily it isn't a issue with a 5 gallon tank, since I can ride 150 miles confident that I still have 50+ in hand.

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
Hello Tom
Only tested "in anger" once- i.e ran out!! The reserve lasted 10 miles. Usually look for a garage at about 100m, onto reserve at 130-150 depending on speed.

b'knighted

VOC Member
That’s all very well but I was always told to save some for later. The way it seems to work for me is that I have saved some for a rainy day.