Fuel reserve

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Something I always do with bikes with a reserve tap is check to see what the reserve actually holds. My standard Vincent tank holds 2.75 litres on the offside, so I usually run on the left tap (which is a 1/4" bore mini ball-valve gas tap). This should leave a reserve good for about 30 miles at moderate (45 mph say) speed. In fact it is good for about 8 or 9 miles, which with rural filling stations shutting down left, right and centre is virtually useless. The sign at he start of the Lecht road from Grantoun-on-Spey to Ballater says "next services 47 miles, not 24 hours". The Lecht is a LONG way from nowhere.
Obviously static and dynamic capacities differ...
My impression from conversations overheard is that on a Vin "switching to reserve" is a triumph of hope over expectation, but does anyone care to comment either way?
I now have a 5 gallon tank, which largely solves the problem, but I'll make a static check in the next day or so, and post the information.

b'knighted

VOC Member
See Petrol Taps thread in next section

Hi Tom,

I have replied in the Petrol Taps thread which was running last year.

Cheers,

nkt267

VOC Member
My impression from conversations overheard is that on a Vin "switching to reserve" is a triumph of hope over expectation, but does anyone care to comment either way?

Buy a Comet and the reserve goes twice as far:D:p..John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Joke accepted.
So you can go 16 miles on reserve?
Please confirm. What I'm looking for is actual experience. How far does your bike, twin, or single, go on reserve? Feel free to say "dunno".

Tom

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have run the woolly out of fuel a couple of times, if I recall at about the 16 - 20 miles mark, but definitely have run 22 miles on reserve once without running out. I think a bit of "how much did you slosh, how aggressive did you drive, how twisty were the roads" over the last 30-40 miles.

Just my opinion!

nkt267

VOC Member
I doubt if I can get more than about 20 miles on reserve.I once went to a meeting at a cafe about 12 miles from home that had a garage next to it, enough fuel to get there 'with some to spare' or so I thought and ran out of fuel as I pulled up..And the garage was SHUT..John

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
Joke accepted.
So you can go 16 miles on reserve?
Please confirm. What I'm looking for is actual experience. How far does your bike, twin, or single, go on reserve? Feel free to say "dunno".

Tom

Hi Tom, "dunno" is my answer, dont really need to know either, on all my bikes I have a good idea of what each one will do to a full tank. So fill up re-set oddometer, and on the Rapide I start to look for petrol at 120-140 miles, simple innit.

John Appleton

VOC Member
How far does your bike, twin, or single, go on reserve?

Tom[/QUOTE]

Tom, my Rapide, fully laden, will do 9miles on reserve. with care I have stretched this to 12 but would not rely on it. I usually do as Tony does , and use the same refill mileages that he is. The only reason I know these distances is that I have an auxhillary tank, the same shape as my carrier and 3" deep, which my luggage sits on top of and the tank is piped in to the normal fuel lines via its own tap. I have therefore been able to determine my main tank ranges without the embarassment of having to push! Just for the record, the total mileage for main and reserve is 155 miles . It is a series B tank with a slightly enlarged carb. cutaway.

John