Fuel lines before and after

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I recently had the tank off my 2002 BMW K1200 rs, the Fuel Pump, Filter and interconnecting rubber hoses are permanently immersed in the fuel, all hoses were perfect , this hose (genuine BMW is $5.65 per 10 cm length)
the EXTERNAL, non submersible hose was also perfect and is $3.50 per 10cm.

Regards
Kevin

Howard

VOC Member
I recently had the tank off my 2002 BMW K1200 rs, the Fuel Pump, Filter and interconnecting rubber hoses are permanently immersed in the fuel, all hoses were perfect , this hose (genuine BMW is $5.65 per 10 cm length)
the EXTERNAL, non submersible hose was also perfect and is $3.50 per 10cm.

Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin,
Having just bought a 2004 R1150RT that's good news to me, but all the BMW forums I've read say the hoses are a big problem, and need to be changed on something that old, have they been changed by a previous owner?

H

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Howard, I have had the bike 10 years (bought with just 12,000klm) and do all my own servicing /repairs etc, so they have never been changed before.
I am planning a 16,000 klm trip for next year so have been replacing hoses etc as a precaution.
I did 350,000 klm on last Beemer, the only "repair" I did was Crown Wheel and Pinion bearings.
I would recommend pulling apart EVERY electrical plug/Connector for clean and look for any blueing of terminals (indicative of poor/overheated connection) I pulled up behind a similar Beemer in a petrol station and showed him the Odometer at about 320,000 klm, he called me a pussy rider....his had over 700,000 klm......never had the head off.
I always change ALL oils and filter between 5,000 and 7,000 klm.
The rear main seal went on this bike and took out the clutch, that is a pain in the arse job, but doable with the Clymers Manual and reading forums on I-BMW.
BMW to me is: ride, ride, ride, ride, ride, change oils, ride, ride, ride......
Enjoy Howard

Regards
Kevin